cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Replacement Phone

abay2016
I'm a participant level 1

if i get a replacement phone through the device protection scheme will this phone be automatically unlocked to any network?

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

namnsing

Greetings to everyone,

In early December, I unfortunately misplaced my iPhone and attempted to locate it using Find My Device, but to no avail. Following my unsuccessful attempts, I contacted the Fido customer service to block the old SIM, purchased a new one, and secured my Apple ID on the lost device. The Fido customer service recommended reaching out to Likewise for a replacement, given that I had premium protection included with my device purchase. Opting for the premium protection due to its promised simplicity, I submitted a service request on December 6, 2023, which was approved, and I paid $315 for the replacement device.

However, I received a message later that day indicating that the replacement device was on backorder and requested five business days for delivery. After two weeks passed, I contacted them again, only to be informed that the replacement was still on backorder. A customer service representative then created an escalation ticket, promising a response within 48-72 hours. Unfortunately, I never received a response, and my attempts to contact Likewise have resulted in repeated creation of new escalation tickets with assurances from their management team.

Presently, I am using a friend's phone for my needs, and I can't help but question the benefits of paying $19 per month for this supposed Premium Protection. I would caution any prospective buyers, especially new students, against choosing Likewise for premium mobile protection and even advise against purchasing a phone with Fido. It seems that when it comes to selling insurance, they provide misleading information about the claims process. These are the challenges I am currently facing, and I will provide updates on my pending claim.

Hello @namnsing,

Welcome to the community.

I'm sorry to hear you still don't have a device. I understand that paying for an additional service for when you lose your device, ends up having you wait for much longer than expected can be frustrating. That being said, like when purchasing a device with your provider, some devices can be backordered for longer than others depending on the demand. Unfortunately this is a reality for any provider and service provider like Likewize.

I hope you end up receiving your device soon! 

Hello Namnsing,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear you have not yet been able to receive your replacement device.

@namnsing wrote:

... I can't help but question the benefits of paying $19 per month for this supposed Premium Protection.....

That is the age-old question of whether device protection is worth it. There are many discussions on this exact topic (see here, and here, and here for a few). Some people believe it's absolutely necessary; others feel it's not worth the money. That said, in your case, you were approved for a replacement device and paid the $315 for another device. A new device (Tier 3) would possibly cost you $800.00 - $1,499.99. Some might consider what you paid for the replacement worth it.

I understand you are frustrated because your device is back-ordered. Unfortunately, if devices are in high demand or are of short supply they can get back-ordered. That isn't necessarily an issue with the program itself or Likewize. It is certainly possible other claims with different devices might proceed without issue.

I understand you may have contacted Likewize numerous times regarding your replacement device. Unfortunately, if the device is back-ordered, they may not have an exact date when they will receive a suitable replacement for your device. That does not mean they mis-informed you about the claims process. Your claim was approved. The delay is in obtaining your replacement device, not processing your claim.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @abay2016 & welcome to the Community!

Replacement phones will also be locked to Fido.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Smiley