Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about IMEI blacklist

Moe1234
I'm a participant level 2

Hi,

I bought an iPhone 6s second hand from kijiji and after I bought it, I stumbled upon a couple of forums with people in my situation getting their phone blacklisted a couple of months after their purchase second hand.  So I just wanted some clarifications. The phone was brand new in box and sealed. If the guy stops making the monthly payments will my phone get blacklisted ? What if the phone was on a financing plan and he stops making the payments, would it still get blacklisted ?

Thank you. 

3 REPLIES 3

FidoPierre
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Moe1234

Welcome to the Community!

This particular feature is not related to payments. 

A device is added to the IMEI Blacklist if the original owner reports the phone lost or stolen. They are also the only person authorized to remove this device from the Blacklist. Once on the Blacklist it is impossible for anyone to use the phone within a Canadian Carrier. 

For this reason Fido is only able to guarantee newly purchased devices from an authorized dealer.

I hope my answer helps clarify this a little. Smiley 

Moe1234

So I should be fine if he stops payments ? I also read somewhere else in the forum that if he never inserted his SIM in the phone he cannot call later and blacklist it, is that still valid ? 

Hey @Moe1234

That is correct, the blacklisting of a phone has nothing to do with the payments. However he can still request the IMEI be blacklisted as long as it has been used within the last 60 days on his number.