Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Occasional Contributor
KevinLien

iPhone 4 Unlock- Questions

I hope this is the right place to post this question... :smileyhappy:

Hello, I got some questions I'd like to clearify!

I want to buy an iPhone 4, but does fido sell the iPhone 4 unlocked? How much would the phone cost alone?

And would I have to buy the iPhone unlock from Fido or the Apple store?

I just want to only be on the $25 contract without the data plan! If possible...

Here's another scenario.

Say if I went on a 3 year contract with fido, with an iPhone 4 (the phone would be cheaper in comparison to buying the iPhone unlock, right?) would I be able to able to cancel the data plan and go on the $25 plan? Or do I have to wait a specific amount of time before cancelling the data plan?

If someone can answer my questions, that'd be awesome! :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Randy2727

Re: iPhone 4 Unlock- Questions

I believe the unlock from Fido is $50 and to my understanding for an iPhone on a contract you must have minutes and data, but im not 100% on that. Just a warning about unlocking a phone and using it on another carrier, sometimes features of the phone don't work properly. For example I use an unlocked Rogers HTC EVO 3D on the Fido network and neither the wifi hotspot nor GPS work wit the preinstalled OS. But as long as your main network is Fido you should be fine.

Please use plain text.
Diamond Emperor
Paolo

apple sells it unlocked. Fido wont sell it unlocked but they sell ti subsidy free, then you can apply for the unlock fee of $50.

just fyi the unsubsidized cost is substancially higher than what you are used to so dont hve a heart attach when u find out
I'm NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and don't represent the views of this website. If you like my posts, please give it a Thumbs Up
Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
KevinLien

[ Edited ]

Thank you guys for your help.
So both of you are saying that I can go on a 3-year term with Fido and apply the unlock fee for $50?

But when I unlock my phone, I still want to be with Fido, I just wanna change my plan to something cheaper
That's possible right? 

@Randy2727: I think you're right about the iPhone contract.

You must have a voice/data plan on a contract with the iPhone

But if I apply the unlock fee for $50, am i allowed to changed my plans to $25 and cancel the data, right away!?

@Paolo: Thanks for your help!
Though, what does subsidy mean? 

Sorry, i'm sorta new to all of this phone/plan stuff! :smileytongue:

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
KevinLien

I talked to one of the telus rep and they told me I can go on a 3-year contract with them (min $50 a month) and after a year, I'm able to cancel the data plan for the iPhone 4 to $25 dollars a month.

So it ends up to the same amount as buying an iPhone unlock, with cost like $650 for a 16G iPhone 4
..if you get what i mean 

Please use plain text.
Advisor
Randy2727

You must buy the phone off contract or wait until your contract runs out for Fido to unlock it. 

Please use plain text.
Diamond Aristocrat
10yearfido

Randy2727 wrote:

You must buy the phone off contract or wait until your contract runs out for Fido to unlock it. 

To clarify: You must buy it at full, unsubsidized price and then pay an extra $50 or wait until your contract runs out and pay an extra $50. You cannot not "buy off" the contract (by paying the ECF) and then have it unlocked. You used to be able to pay the ECF and the pay the $50 but now they will only do it if your contract runs out (or you paid full price originally). If you pay the ECF to buy out the contract, they will still require that you wait until the original 3 years expires before they will unlock it.

It is a puzzling policy, but that's what it is right now.

Feel free to click 'Accept as Solution' if I've answered your question. If you like my post click Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Advisor
swotam

If you are willing to pay the full unsubsidized price and want it unlocked, why not just go buy it from Apple directly? You pay the same for the phone and don't have to pay extra to have it unlocked.

Please use plain text.
Diamond Aristocrat
10yearfido

swotam wrote:

If you are willing to pay the full unsubsidized price and want it unlocked, why not just go buy it from Apple directly? You pay the same for the phone and don't have to pay extra to have it unlocked.

Good question. Only reason I can think of is if you had many hundreds of Fido dollars, enough to pay for it entirely, then it would make sense. Otherwise, not so much. Can't think of any reason anyone would buy it full price from any other carriers, especially since other than Fido/Rogers, the other carriers won't unlock iPhones at all, so you'd pay full price for a permanently locked phone.

Feel free to click 'Accept as Solution' if I've answered your question. If you like my post click Cheers.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Contributor
KevinLien

Does anyone know if I can go on a 3 year term contract with the iPhone 4 and pay off the DECF right away?

Please use plain text.
Welcome

Welcome to the Fido Community Forums! A place to discuss questions related to Fido products and services.

To get started, click here.

Be sure to check out our:

Pour nos forums communautaires en français, cliquez ici.