cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Facetime when travelling abroad

eegleseye
I'm a participant level 2

Hi...if I use facetime when I am abroad and connected to wifi, do I incur any other charges...ie) long distance or roaming charges??...thanks

7 REPLIES 7

Anonymous
Not applicable
correct me if I'm wrong? Facetime is NOT a network feature, its only exclusive to Apple iphone 4G, its not advertized by fido, nor endorced by them. it uses a proprietary coding in your phone combined with using third party wifi network which does not belong to fido, to make calls. I don't see how FIDO can bill you for something which is not controlled by them or endorced by them?

the only thing you need to consider, if you make a voice call, when your roaming or long distance, do you normally pay for that? if so, thats what the face time call will cost you, only the voice portion of the call goes through the fido network, the video portion does not.. hope this clears it up for you.

Be sure to click likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s).

eegleseye
thx for your reply...still not sure, because I have read that if you click facetime intially on the contact page and not voicecall and then add facetime to the call...then it is strictly running on wifi and chargers cant be incurred...fido.ca is absolutely no help on this issue...thx

Hi eegleseye,

Paolo and his seemingly infinite wisdom is accurate again :smileyhappy:. Facetime uses wifi, you will not incur any charges for using Facetime.

FidoErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Thanks for helping out Paolo!

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it. Using Facetime while connected to a WIFI network will not result in any fees. Facetime does not deduct airtime or minute from your Fido plan but does use data/internet therefore if not connected to a WIFI network you will be charge once you've gone over your data allocation and if roaming outside of Canada then data Roaming fees will be charge.

Data usage is approximately, more or less 3 MB per min.

Facetime = Apple VoIP service = data/internet usage, which can result in data overage fees & data roaming when outside of Canada.

Hope this helps!

ovaysi
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi,

Just to let you know that , today I noticed that Fido has charged me 230$ for calls that I made via FaceTime using my home wifi . how is it possible?

however I have a large data plan (8 GB) which I only had used around 4 GB . 

Hey @ovaysi!

We'll have to take a look into your account so we can figure out what happened. I'll send you a PM shortly to continue.