January 2013 - last edited March by FidoStephen
Some Canadians with the RAZR HD are getting the notifications for the Android 4.1 Jelly Bean update today.
Not me though. It still says up to date on 4.0.4. Sometimes with other devices you can force an update by deleting some app caches etc., but I haven't bothered yet. I'll try again later when my phone is charged up.
***Edited to add labels***
February 2013 - last edited February 2013
I'm in Toronto and I've got my OTA upgrade this Thursday. Probably, everybody will get the upgrade during February, but now it seems to be released selectively - now, some people are offered the upgrade, some are not yet.
My guesses are
1) Now the upgrade is released rather randomly for some subset of people
2) People frequently checking for upgrade, get it first. I was interested in it and I checked for it nearly every day in January before I received it.
Some noticeable changes in 4.1.2 in comparison with 4.0.4:
- Overall the interface runs somewhat smoother, as is promised by Jelly Bean
- Lock screen fonts and style are changed
- Notifications are improved
- Sleep mode is gone (not present anymore in the menu appearing after holding power button)
- A bunch of different menus are changed - some options are added here and there, some options are removed
- People (phonebook) now has white background
- In the status bar, the earphones with/without microphone are distinguished, each having its own icon
Fixes noticed by me:
- Skype now works through loudspeaker, as it is supposed to, not through earspeaker
- HDMI video output now works properly for video shot vertically
Battery life behavior seems to be unchanged in my case - 1 day of heavy usage, 2 days of light to moderate usage, around 3 days in standby on a single charge.
Firmware build itself is dated Dec 20, 1012, assuming that it took Motorola and Rogers/Fido a while to test it before OTA deployment (which is a good thing).
Overall, it's a step forward with respect to 4.0.4.
FIDO has pushed out the JB update to the RAZR HD. Unfortunately I cannot comment on the new features, due to an OLD 'feature' of the Android OS-----
BIG NOTE. If you use encryption, back up before doing the update, and perhaps consider turning encryption off before the update.
Your decrypt password will not work after the update from ICS to Jelly Bean. The suggested 'solution' from searches I have done since, is to do a factory reset!
This is NOT a new problem, and apparently existed with the update, over a year ago, to ICS. This is beyond lame....
I came from the walled garden to Android with the RAZR HD. I had done numerous updates to iOS without any such problems. When the next big thing comes out this summer, from the folks who provide the walled garden, I will be moving back to the walled garden - because it JUST WORKS.....
I just updated mine today, although I seen the update was available for about a week. can't comment on Jellybean yet as I haven't had a chance to test it out yet. Looking forward to see how it is compared to ICS.
Still waiting in Quebec City...
Called Motorola to get some info on the rollout and they told me that the rollout should be complete by now, and thus they had no explanation why I am still waiting...weird. They told me to try doing a factory reset and then try again. Did this to no avail; I'm still on 4.0.4.