cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can you tell if your on wifi or 3G?

KyleG
I'm a participant level 3

At first it asks you if you would like ti connect to 3G, Wifi, or something else. Anyway, I connected to my home wifi, and played on it for a bit. Then I went to Log and went under Data, At the bottom it says Wifi, and my Wifi name, then on top of it, they all say GPRS, Fido browsing. Am I browsing on my wifi, or on the 3g network?

Many thanks.

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

FidoJohn
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hello KyleG,

Welcome to the Fido technical community,

Can you please specify what make and model of device your using? The community will be able to help you out easily with that information.

KyleG

Oops sorry guys, the phone is Sony Ericsson vivaz pro.

Hey everyone!

Although this thread is quite old, I'd like to add a little update since I came across it Smiley

It has been a while now since smartphones have conquered the wireless market, but just in case someone still has questions about how the phone shows various connections, I wanted to mention that if on Fido network there should be one of the following network codes (or slight variations) next to the network signal bars: Edge,2G,3G,H (HSPA),H+ ( HSPA+),4G,LTE . When none of these are displayed and some waves appear in the same place wifi is on. Most of the phones will even display a message like ''Connected to wi-fi xxx'' just to let the user know.

People with classic phones will have to make the jump at one point Wink

Hope it helps!

Cheers

Anonymous
Not applicable
On my blackberry smartphone, I will know when I am connected because the name of my SSID shows beside the word fido, then the WiFi icon in the corner has to be White (not grey) to indicate it is routing all network and blackberry traffic through my access point. If its still grey, the connection is going through EDGE/2G network still. And if it chagnes to the symbol UMA my voice calls are also being diverted and not using GSM they are going through my wifi gateway as well.

Any data I use will not come out of my data bucket, any voice call will not either but only because I subscribe to Fido WiFi Calling too