12-14-2011 02:01 PM
I am trying to get Wireless tethering (HotSpot) working with my Acer Liquid E, and cannot seem to make it happen.
The phone is running Android 2.2 and fully supports tethering. Devices can see/connect to my wireless hotspot, just no data gets passed (can't actually surf etc on the device connected to the phone).
I have the Flex Data plan, which, according to FidoStephen in this post should be fine...
Do I need to have something enabled on the account-side to make this work?
12-16-2011 01:55 PM
12-16-2011 03:32 PM
Hi! Thanks for the response.
Here's the text from the other post I mentioned. Your post contradicts what Stephen posted... Could the policy have been updated?
Just a slight correction - tethering is allowed with all of our data add-ons now ($10 100MB & $25 500MB). And yes, as Paolo had mentioned, you would need the tethering feature in your account in order for it to work.
12-20-2011 01:43 PM
03-01-2012 10:23 AM
I am having the same problem
1. The phone is running Android 2.2.2 and fully supports tethering. Devices can see/connect to my wireless hotspot, just no data gets passed (can't actually surf etc on the device connected to the phone).
2. I called Fido yesterday and activate tethering in my account. They told me just turn Off and On, but stayed the same
3. I called Fido againn today and my account is tethering enable, but the person on the phone told me I need to have the latest version of iTunes in my computer in order for tethering to work
is that correct ??
what I am missing?
03-01-2012 12:31 PM
In my case, it was the Flex Data plan I was on. The symptoms were the same as you (Hot Spot created, devices can see and connect, but no data gets passed). Apparently tethering, for whatever reason, is not allowed on the Flex Data Plan. I switched to the 500MB plan and tethering now works.
There is no technical justification for disabling tethering on the Flex plan (Other then as a way to force users to upgrade), but ah well. It works now (Once I upgraded).
03-01-2012 04:27 PM
thanks DB for your reply and comments, specially some hope.
what is your Android version, baseband and build?
- I had originally 2.1 with details like:
default android firmware is 2.1-update1, baseband A1-04.01.03, kernel 2.6.29, build Acer_LiquidE_1.100.79_PA_FIDO
- I did the first upgrade suggested at http://www.acer.ca/ac/en/CA/content/drivers using update for Eclair 2.1,
now I have android 2.2.2 with details like:
version 2.2.2, baseband A1-05.01.07, build Acer_LiquidE_4.004.12_PA_FIDO on Feb.29, 2012
- I also tried the second update for Froyo 2.2 but it failed
still having the same problem
and Fido said I have tethering enable
thanks again, Fausto