Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Will Oukitel phone work with Fido?

Manoffallout
I'm a participant level 2

Hi!

I'm planning to purchase this phone but can't digure out whether it would work on Fido network? Looks like the frequences are OK but I'm not sure about LTE and such. 

The phone is Oukitel K10, but I'm also looking at Oukitel K7 and K10000pro

https://www.gearbest.com/cell-phones/pp_1549831.html?wid=1817324#goodsDetail

Thank you for your help and advise! Appreciate it!

Thanks!

Che

7 REPLIES 7

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Manoffallout,

Welcome to the community!

The intended market for those phones appears to be outside of North America. Unfortunately, I don't believe any of those devices would be suitable for use on the Canadian networks.

As far as I am aware, these are the band/frequency specifications for all of those phones:

2G: GSM 850/900/1800/1900MHz
3G: WCDMA B1/B8
4G: FDD-LTE B1/B3/B7/B8/B20

Taken from the Gear Best site provided and correspond to the Oukitel website specifications. Note Gear Best does not list specifications for the K7, but the Oukitel website shows the same specifications.

Judging by those specifications, those phones have all of the compatible bands/frequencies for 2G. You should note, however, that Fido/Rogers intends to decommission the GSM (2G) network by December 31st, 2020 (see here). In addition, those phones do not have any compatible '3G' bands/frequencies. With regards to LTE, those phones only have one compatible band/frequency, band 7 or 2600MHz. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here. Coverage depends on corresponding bands/frequencies on your surrounding cellular towers. You can get an idea of your area towers here.

For the moment, the phone should work on the 2G networks and the LTE networks depending on your location.

I mentioned that the intended market appears to be from elsewhere because North America uses bands 2 and 5 or band 4 for their '3G' or UMTS/WCDMA networks. As such, that phone wouldn't be suitable on the other networks either.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey Manoffallout! 

From what I have found, here, it looks like your device is compatible with our 3G network but it looks like the device is only compatible with one of the frequencies that we use for our LTE network.

This means that your access to LTE will depend on whether or not that frequency is used for LTE where you are. Unfortunately we're not able to confirm which frequencies are used where. 

You can check out this page in our Library for more information on which frequencies we use for our network.  

Hope this helps!

Hello,

@FidoAmanda wrote:...From what I have found, here, it looks like your device is compatible with our 3G network...

Unfortunately, that is not correct. So far, all sources (including the link above) list the '3G' UMTS or WCDMA bands/frequencies to be bands 1 and 8 (2100MHz and 900MHz, respectively). Fido/Rogers uses bands 2 and 5 (1900MHz and 850MHz, respectively).

Those phones are not compatible with the '3G' networks.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Manoffallout

Thank you guys for detailed explanation! Appreciate your help!  This phone is going to be used for the phone calls only. Don't really need 3g or 4g/LTE. I did see an older Oukitel K10000 working with Fido and this is the reason why I'm looking at the newer versions. It's a shame local carriers do not offer greater variety of phones, nothing with the battery larger than 3000mah. It just does not work the same with the power banks. 

Anyone knows if there are any phones that would still be affordable and offer better kick for the buck? Oneplus is outrageously expensive as well as pixel and HTC. What about Xiaomi, Elephone, ZTE etc.?

Hello again,

@@Manoffallou wrote:...This phone is going to be used for the phone calls only. Don't really need 3g or 4g/LTE. I did see an older Oukitel K10000 working with Fido and this is the reason why I'm looking at the newer versions....

Yes, the phone should work for voice calls. You should note that you might not be able to send/receive MMS since that would require data and does not get sent via Wifi. In addition, some areas have already started reducing the GSM networks. While it still has a fairly good presence nationally, it's difficult to say how the reduction in band capacities would affect coverage at your location. Furthermore, if you happen to travel to (or live in) an area considered extended coverage (Fido-EXT) -- an area outside of Fido/Rogers coverage, but within another Canadian provider's coverage -- that phone would not work. No other nationwide provider offers GSM coverage.

Personally, I would not purchase a phone without, at the very least, fully compatible UMTS/WCDMA ('3G') bands/frequencies. I understand you might not use data, but going forward, voice calls will be transmitted via that network. A phone without compatible '3G' bands would be obsolete after Dec 2020, while one with compatible bands would still work. 

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Hello,

@Cawtau wrote:... I understand you might not use data, but going forward, voice calls will be transmitted via that network...

I should clarify... The UMTS/WCDMA or '3G' network is used for voice, messages, and data. So currently, voice calls (except voLTE and Wifi-calling) are transmitted via the 2G and '3G' networks. Going forward, those voice calls will be only transmitted via the '3G' network.

Sorry for any confusion my earlier statement might have caused.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Thanks for the heads up, Cawtau!

That's totally my bad! I misread the specs when checking them last night. Sorry for any confusion that may have caused you, Manoffallout.

Cawtau is correct. That device will only have access to our 2G network and one of the frequencies we use for LTE. 

@Community, anyone have any suggestions for a phone for Manoffallout?