Which January 2018 Fido Phones have FM Radio Enabled?

I'm a Contributor Level 1 crtc416
I'm a Contributor Level 1

Accepted Solution

Re: Which January 2018 Fido Phones have FM Radio Enabled?

Hey there!

Welcome to the Community!

At the moment, none of the phones we carry have FM radio enabled, however, it's possible to download an app from your phone's app store to listen to the radio.

Enabling FM chips in our smartphone lineup requires the support of the device manufacturers and we're working with them on any plans they have for FM radio.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 7
Solution

Hey there!

Welcome to the Community!

At the moment, none of the phones we carry have FM radio enabled, however, it's possible to download an app from your phone's app store to listen to the radio.

Enabling FM chips in our smartphone lineup requires the support of the device manufacturers and we're working with them on any plans they have for FM radio.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 7

The Samsung A5 2017 has the FM radio around the world except CANADA, so why did FIDO request the supplier to block it?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 7

A better solution is for FIDO to request Samsung to enble the FM radio with a firmware upgrade and roll it out across CANADA so that we are equal to the rest of the world instead of being a second rate country.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 7
Highlighted
MVP
MVP

crtc416 wrote:

The Samsung A5 2017 has the FM radio around the world except CANADA, so why did FIDO request the supplier to block it?

Hello Crtc416,

Welcome to the community!

It's phone manufacturers, in this case Samsung Canada, who decide on the model variant specifications. Contrary to popular belief, the mobile providers do not request the manufacturers disable the FM radio functionality (see here).

crtc416 wrote:

A better solution is for FIDO to request Samsung to enble the FM radio with a firmware upgrade and roll it out across CANADA so that we are equal to the rest of the world instead of being a second rate country.

Unfortunately, it might not be as simple as a firmware upgrade. They might use the same chipset, but that doesn't necessarily mean Samsung Canada implemented a FM radio into their design (see here).

As far as I am aware, the LG and Huawei (at least some versions) phones should have the FM radios enabled.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 7

You should check your facts. If you read the fido blog " Ota fm radio neutered???" the response from LG Canada was that "none of the carriers wanted to include the FM radio option". So that tells me that it was in fact the Canadian carriers who decided not to include FM radio on their cellphones. The manufacturers include the FM radio circuit around the world but have it disabled in firmware for Canada because the carriers don't want it. The best solution is for FIDO to request the manufacturers to enable the FM radio by way of a firmware upgrade. So how about it FIDO? Fix the mistake you made.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 7
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

Maybe you should check your facts... The thread you noted is from 2016. Since then, LG has decided to enable the FM Radio on more of their devices (see here).

If the mobile providers really don't want the capability with their devices, why did they allow some of their devices to have the functionality (see here). Furthermore, did you see the campaign update on the Free Radio on My phone website? Rogers said they will support/allow it if enabled by the manufacturer (note: LG, Huawei do have their FM radios enabled on Fido).

As noted previously, it may not be as simple as a firmware upgrade.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation