cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which January 2018 Fido Phones have FM Radio Enabled?

crtc416
I'm a contributor level 1

Which January 2018 Fido Phones have FM Radio Enabled?

15 REPLIES 15

Tanker
I'm a participant level 2
I'm a participant level 2

I'm  fed up as well having my time wasted. I decided to go to The Source and buy a pocket sized digital radio.

Marktetu

Hello,

As far as I am aware, LG, Huawei and Samsung have all pledged to enable the FM radios in their newer phone lineups (see here).

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers

Tzorin81
I'm a participant level 3

LG G7 android one version.

reelRobhardy

So do LG G6 phones then have FM radio enabled, if purchased from FIDO?

How about LG G7 phones, from FIDO?

c.f.

https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/08/10/lg-will-enable-fm-radio-devices-partnership-nextradio/

https://www.androidpolice.com/2017/08/10/lg-will-enable-fm-radio-devices-partnership-nextradio/

Because this should be law in Canada, to have FM radios enabled and working in all cell phones that have a variant with an FM radio elsewhere in the world, especially incase of emergencies like earthquakes or forest fires.  I know in BC they just tested a mass global alert system, but my FIDO LG phone didn't recieve the message (while my wife's Koodo iPhone X did get the message).  And radio would give much more (ongoing) information to the user then this alert system, incase of emergencies... especially in case of limitted cell service.

---

https://globalnews.ca/news/2710861/unlock-the-hidden-fm-radio-locked-in-smartphones-broadcasters-urg...

https://globalnews.ca/news/2710861/unlock-the-hidden-fm-radio-locked-in-smartphones-broadcasters-urg...

"Carriers are reluctant to allow the technology because they don’t want to lose the bandwith used for streaming audio, Gemmell says.

“It’s not that they have a hate on for radio, or for our technology, or for what we do. I think they were just trying to monetize as best they can.”"

Hello reelRobhardy,

Welcome to the community!

Have you considered asking LG Canada?

“The decision to enable FM chips on devices lies solely with the manufacturers,” Rogers spokesperson Andrew Garas said. “Select devices already have FM chips enabled, and we anticipate there will be more in the future.”

~ taken from your link above

According to the specifications listed on the LG Canada website, it appears that the LG G7 One does have the FM radio while the LG G7 ThinQ does not (see Additional Specifications sections here and here). It's possible that there are some features which were not included in those specification listings. You might consider contacting LG Canada to verify the specifications.

With regards to the Alert Ready Emergency Message Service, not all LTE-capable phones are able to receive the alerts. The device needs to have special software embedded in it which allows for messages sent by your service provider, via Cell Broadcast, to be received in the standard Alert Ready format. You would have to contact LG Canada to inquire whether your phone is compatible with the system. For more information regarding the Wireless Public Alerting system you can try https://www.cwta.ca/for-consumers/wpa-sasfp/ . If your phone is not compatible, you might consider downloading an app similar to Alertable. It connects to the National Alert Aggregation and Dissemination (NAAD) System that carriers will be using to deliver emergency alerts. See https://mobilesyrup.com/2018/04/06/lte-wpa-april-6-alert-ready/

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

reelRobhardy

No I havent' considered asking LG Canada, because I buy/bought my phone from FIDO and not LG.

Fido should be providing all the "Canadian" specifications for the phones they are selling, whether from LG or from Apple or where ever.  I shouldn't have to do their work for them Speechless

But taken from my other link:

http://nextradioapp.com/supporteddevices/?__hstc=52360246.0162b4a5b909318cc18d0e145be139dd.154405917...

In this list it shows LG G6 has an enabled radio in the USA market, available from all the big providers.

It would be misleading to suggest that LG Canada would ask that LG G6 phones sold in Canada would have the FM radio disabled, while LG sells a G6 with radio enabled in the USA.

It would be misleading to suggest that Canadian cell phone providers like Rogers, Telus, Fido, etc... would not have any say in whether this FM radio function (or other cell phone features) would be enabled in Canada.

It takes two to tango... and LG is already ready to dance.  What is FIDO/Rogers issue with enabling the FM Radio (cause LG is ready)?

Hello again,

Perhaps you should check the Canadian website for NextRadio? NextRadioApp.ca does list the LG G6 as a supported device. In addition, if you check the Free Radio on My Phone campaign, Rogers states If the handset maker enables FM they will support/allow it.

Furthermore, if you read some of my previous posts above, there was a link to this post showing a screen capture of someone with a Fido LG G6 with the FM Radio.

Cheers

glussier
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

Rogers states If the handset maker enables FM they will support/allow it

If this is the case, why is the Samsung Galaxy A5 I got from Fido doesn't have the FM radio enabled but the American Samsung Galaxy A5 I purchased from Amazon.ca does have-it enable?

Hello Glussier,

@glussier wrote:

Rogers states If the handset maker enables FM they will support/allow it

If this is the case, why is the Samsung Galaxy A5 I got from Fido doesn't have the FM radio enabled but the American Samsung Galaxy A5 I purchased from Amazon.ca does have-it enable?

The Samsung Galaxy A5s available in the US (and other parts of the World) are not the same version as the Canadian version of the device (SM-A520W). Samsung Canada confirmed that the FM Radio was not included in the Canadian Galaxy A5 version (see here). Many of the phone versions available on Amazon.ca are not the Canadian versions of the phones. Since there is no FM radio option in the Canadian version, there is nothing for Fido or Rogers to enable.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey there!

Welcome to the Community!

At the moment, none of the phones we carry have FM radio enabled, however, it's possible to download an app from your phone's app store to listen to the radio.

Enabling FM chips in our smartphone lineup requires the support of the device manufacturers and we're working with them on any plans they have for FM radio.

Let me know if you have any other questions.

crtc416

The Samsung A5 2017 has the FM radio around the world except CANADA, so why did FIDO request the supplier to block it?

crtc416

A better solution is for FIDO to request Samsung to enble the FM radio with a firmware upgrade and roll it out across CANADA so that we are equal to the rest of the world instead of being a second rate country.

@crtc416 wrote:

The Samsung A5 2017 has the FM radio around the world except CANADA, so why did FIDO request the supplier to block it?

Hello Crtc416,

Welcome to the community!

It's phone manufacturers, in this case Samsung Canada, who decide on the model variant specifications. Contrary to popular belief, the mobile providers do not request the manufacturers disable the FM radio functionality (see here).

@crtc416 wrote:

A better solution is for FIDO to request Samsung to enble the FM radio with a firmware upgrade and roll it out across CANADA so that we are equal to the rest of the world instead of being a second rate country.

Unfortunately, it might not be as simple as a firmware upgrade. They might use the same chipset, but that doesn't necessarily mean Samsung Canada implemented a FM radio into their design (see here).

As far as I am aware, the LG and Huawei (at least some versions) phones should have the FM radios enabled.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

crtc416

You should check your facts. If you read the fido blog " Ota fm radio neutered???" the response from LG Canada was that "none of the carriers wanted to include the FM radio option". So that tells me that it was in fact the Canadian carriers who decided not to include FM radio on their cellphones. The manufacturers include the FM radio circuit around the world but have it disabled in firmware for Canada because the carriers don't want it. The best solution is for FIDO to request the manufacturers to enable the FM radio by way of a firmware upgrade. So how about it FIDO? Fix the mistake you made.

Hello again,

Maybe you should check your facts... The thread you noted is from 2016. Since then, LG has decided to enable the FM Radio on more of their devices (see here).

If the mobile providers really don't want the capability with their devices, why did they allow some of their devices to have the functionality (see here). Furthermore, did you see the campaign update on the Free Radio on My phone website? Rogers said they will support/allow it if enabled by the manufacturer (note: LG, Huawei do have their FM radios enabled on Fido).

As noted previously, it may not be as simple as a firmware upgrade.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers