LG G4 7.0 update

I’m savvy jm6262
I’m savvy

LG G4 7.0 update

Not exactly holding my breath on this but would be nice to know if Fido is actually in the process of pushing this update out (not that they would say if they were, probably get the famous keep checking the update page! line they love).

Meanwhile security patch is still from July 2016, sort of laughable at this point. Oh well, at least the phone was free...  

***Edited to add labels***

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 9
I’m a legend
I’m a legend

Re: LG G4 7.0 update

@jm6262 I don't think LG even confirmed if the G4 will be getting Android 7.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 9
I’m a connoisseur bobo123
I’m a connoisseur

They did along with the V10. A few versions of the G4 are already running it, the South Korea one for instance.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 9
I’m a legend
I’m a legend

Yes the South Korean version but not any of the international ones.

If they don't release it for Canada at least then there is nothing Fido can do, LG has to first release the update.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 9
I’m a connoisseur bobo123
I’m a connoisseur

Ya the global H815 version has started to receive it in Poland.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 9
I’m a legend
I’m a legend

Still you have to wait for them to release it for the Canadian version which is the LGH812.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 9
I’m an amateur ericlnu
I’m an amateur

Possibly off-topic post.

Would be nice that there would be an actual update that permits a full unlock, and not a BS seemingly random ”you're in Canada, you don't get to unlock your phone”. H815 folks can, the Korean models can, US models can. Is this a decision from the Canadian carriers to lock the phones? If so, it's bad for business. I'm certainly not getting an LG again. Even if they give me a phone for free, no ”upgrade fee” (which is yet another money grab).

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 9
Highlighted
I’m a legend
I’m a legend

Hello @ericlnu,

Welcome to the community!

Come December 1-2017 all phone will come unlocked and all current phone that is locked will be unlocked for free when a customer request it. It is the new ruling imposed by the CRTC, you can get more info here.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 9
I’m a mentor
I’m a mentor

If you read the fine print on your contract, most phones sold in Canada are unlocked if you buy them from a carrier with the exception of Google's Nexus and Pixel product line.  That has been going on for a total of 19 years of owing multiple cell phones. Furthermore, this locked phone applies to all manufacturers including iphone, Nokia, samusng, LG, Motorolla, ZTE, ...etc.

The only way to purchase an unlcoked phone is to buy it from the store (e.g., apple store, samsung store).  Alternatively, if you want to unlock your phone now before Dec you can do it yourself via some sites off the internet by paying a small fee.  

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation