cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LG G4 7.0 update

jm6262
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

Not exactly holding my breath on this but would be nice to know if Fido is actually in the process of pushing this update out (not that they would say if they were, probably get the famous keep checking the update page! line they love).

Meanwhile security patch is still from July 2016, sort of laughable at this point. Oh well, at least the phone was free...  

***Edited to add labels***

14 REPLIES 14

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@jm6262 I don't think LG even confirmed if the G4 will be getting Android 7.

bobo123
I'm a participant level 2
They did along with the V10. A few versions of the G4 are already running it, the South Korea one for instance.

Yes the South Korean version but not any of the international ones.

If they don't release it for Canada at least then there is nothing Fido can do, LG has to first release the update.

bobo123
Ya the global H815 version has started to receive it in Poland.

Still you have to wait for them to release it for the Canadian version which is the LGH812.

ericlnu

Possibly off-topic post.

Would be nice that there would be an actual update that permits a full unlock, and not a BS seemingly random ”you're in Canada, you don't get to unlock your phone”. H815 folks can, the Korean models can, US models can. Is this a decision from the Canadian carriers to lock the phones? If so, it's bad for business. I'm certainly not getting an LG again. Even if they give me a phone for free, no ”upgrade fee” (which is yet another money grab).

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

If you read the fine print on your contract, most phones sold in Canada are locked if you buy them from a carrier with the exception of Google's Nexus and Pixel product line.  That has been going on for a total of 19 years of owing multiple cell phones. Furthermore, this locked phone applies to all manufacturers including iphone, Nokia, samusng, LG, Motorolla, ZTE, ...etc.

The only way to purchase an unlcoked phone is to buy it from the store (e.g., apple store, samsung store).  Alternatively, if you want to unlock your phone now before Dec you can do it yourself via some sites off the internet by paying a small fee.  

thesnowyuser
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Ok, so now I can ask for my H812 to be unlocked for free. Fido's roadmap shows very few updates. Has Android 7 actially been released for Canada's H812? (I know the H815 sold elsewhere is happily running it). 

Hello Thesnowyuser,

Welcome to the community!

As far as I am aware, Android 7 has not been released for the H812 (see here, here, and here). I am doubtful as to whether it will be released for this phone. I understand some sources say planned upgrade to 7.0. However, those sources usually refer generally to the LG G4 and not specific versions of that model. Indeed, the H815 (and some others) did receive the Nougat update. Interestingly, LG Canada lists the H812 as discontinued whereas there is no such mention of status regarding the H815 on LG UK. You would have to contact LG Canada to determine whether Android 7 is planned for the H812.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

ericlnu

This sort of shenanigans from carriers - because the H812 is a Canadian carrier specific ”build” - who are more interested in forcing people to ”upgrade” to the most recent device (encouraging waste and consumerism) to up their profits is disgusting, besides the fact that Canadian customers pay some of highest rates in the world. Talk about greedy.

This is the proverbial straw on the camel's back, for many people.

Nothing personal to the support people here, you don't even get paid to help people here. I've done it, and  often thankless, so here's my thanks to all of you.

This is just BS from Fido, LG, and Rogers (Fido's parent company). NOT HAPPY.

Hey @ericlnu

That's definitely not how we want you to feel Sad 

I can assure you that we do everything we can to make sure available updates are sent to your phone as soon as they're available. If the update is made available by the manufacturer, we'll make sure to push it to your phone ASAP. 

You can find out more on how updates get to your phone right here if you're interested. Smiley 

ericlnu

I know the devs (and people like you, too) work their butts off, or would like to (and your pay probably sucks too). I like many many other people are tired of being at the mercy of big business decisions based on their bottom line, profit - "I don't think we can turn a profit by having those devices upgraded to Oreo or Nougat, they'll stick with their current model, and new device sales will go down". As illogical as that sounds, that's how they operate. Soon or later, how we do things in general is going to go poof.

The CEOs of the world need to wake up.

THank you for your time @FidoPamela, and others, you folks are cool.

Hey @ericlnu

We appreciate your time and you're definitely cool as well. Your feedback is important to us and I made sure to forward this to the right team. Smiley

For any updates on this, I invite you to keep an eye on our OS update page on the Community.

Hello @ericlnu,

Welcome to the community!

Come December 1-2017 all phone will come unlocked and all current phone that is locked will be unlocked for free when a customer request it. It is the new ruling imposed by the CRTC, you can get more info here.