cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

iPhone 7 Plus is more expensive than iPhone 8 Plus?

rubenv
I'm a participant level 2

Looking at the current pricing of iPhone 7 VS iPhone 8:

iPhone 8 Plus 64GB = No Term $1059

Makes sense. Same price as on Apple.ca

iPhone 7 Plus 32GB= No Term $1079 (really? older model, less storage and still more expensive)

This makes absolutely no sense. It costs $899 unlocked on Apple.ca.

Can anyone from Fido explain why this is?

***Edited to add labels***

11 REPLIES 11

Kenny13
I'm a contributor level 2
I'm a contributor level 2

Fido still has not updated their website.

Iphone 7 is still more expensive than Iphone 8.

I guess Fido is trying to get people to buy the new iPhone.

vasili

It just comes to my attention that after introducing iPhone 8, the Apple changed the price for iPhone 7 on the website (https://www.apple.com/ca/shop/buy-iphone/iphone-7/4.7-inch-display-32gb-black#00,11,20). when you check the

Fido website, you may find that the price for iPhone 7 (small plan and no contract) is &919 which is almost $200 more than what Apple says. what would be the benefit of having a phone with fido anymore? 

I guess the price for all iPhones with respect to the plans should be adjusted. 

Thanks 

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @vasili!

Just a head's up that we moved your post here as it relates to the same topic Smiley

You can learn more info on pricing up top!

Hey @vasili

Thanks for your feedback, we'll make sure to pass it along to the right people.

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @rubenv!

We often review our pricing and we want to remain as competitive as possible! That said, it is possible that Apple has a different pricing on their end, as they are the manufacturer of the device.

You definitely do have the option to purchase at full price directly from Apple and use it with your Fido plan though! Smiley

That said, it's always a good idea to keep an eye out on Fido.ca to be on top of any pricing changes Very_Happy

rubenv

Hi Nick,

Thank you for your reply.

What I understood is that it's normal that the same phone, costs $180 more at Fido without term, then going directly to Apple.

This just doesn't feel/look right. The perception I have, is that Fido is knowingly inflating our tab/subsidy, more than they have to (in this case, by $180).

I just kindly ask that you please report this to pricing or marketing.

Thank you.

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi everyone, sorry for the delay in getting back to you all!

We've forwarded your concerns to our marketing team. Smiley As mentioned by @FidoNick, we continually update our pricing to ensure our customers receive the best value for devices. Keep an eye on our website for the latest pricing and promotions. Wink

Hey! I can definitely understand the confusion with this. In this case it seems like Apple dropped the price of their older models since the 8 came out, and we're just waiting on them to pass the new costs/pricing to us.

If you check Apple's pricing history on the phone, it was $1049 on the 10th of September, 2017 from them directly.

Apple is also able to set prices independently of us, since they do make the phone.

Quick edit: This is in regards to the iPhone 7 Plus 32GB.

rubenv

Hi there,

Thanks for your reply. Unfortunately, this isn't isolated to that model in particular.

iPhone 6s 32GB

Apple - $599

Fido - $779

So a person get's on a medium plan to pay $219.00 upfront and be stuck with a $560 tab/subsidy (almost the same price as just buying it unlocked).

With other providers, the upfront+tab/subsidy = current retail cost of device. They don't charge us a premium on top of the already additional price we're paying to get on a medium or large plan to reduce the upfront cost.

Anyway, seeing how this is happening to pretty much all the iPhone devices at Fido, I don't see a solution to this - feel free to close this thread.

My solution was to buy an unlocked phone and not renew my contract with Fido in a few months. Simply not worth paying a premium for a medium or large plan.

Thank you.

This seems to also be related to Apple dropping the price on older models since the 8 came out.

Here's the prices from Apple's website as of September 11th, 2017. I've used "Internet Archive: Wayback Machine" to check this out.

8SdhnDd

I've also checked a couple other provider's websites, and some of them seem to also not have lowered their prices like Apple has.

jerryfan2000

I solved the problem by cancelling my Fido account and switched to Bell.