cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Home phone problems

mrgroot
I'm a contributor level 1

Since Thursday I am having a recurring problem with my Fido home phone.... sometimes with incoming calls the handset doesn't ring and the caller goes straight to voicemail (tested with tested with four different phone lines), and for outgoing calls nothing happens, I just get a busy signal (on phones that are active and not busy, this was tested with two different cell phones). The problem definitely is not the cordless handset because I swapped out with another one and still had the same problem. After switching off the modem a few times without success I pulled the battery out and pulled the power plug and that seemed to fix the problem....but then it came back. Based on this, it seems to me the problem lies with either the modem and/or the sim card. What do I do?

***Edited to add Labels***

14 REPLIES 14

BeachBear
I'm a participant level 2

I have had the exact same issue for a week now.  I have tried everything suggested without success.  Is there a fix for this problem?  I do need that phone number to work.  If Fido has not found a solution, please let me know I will need to change provider.

Thanks

Hey @BeachBear!

Welcome to the community :),

Did you experience this issue beforehand? How long have you had the home phone working before this started happening last week?

Could you also confirm the status of the lights on your modem, and what's connected to the 2 slots on the back of the device?

Keep us updated!

BeachBear

Hi!

This issue has never happened before last week.  It has been going on and off for that period. I have had the phone working properly for about 18 months.  Only one line (phone) is connected at the back.  I moved it to the other to see if that would fix things.  The lights status on the modem are: Power (On), Battery (full charge), Reception between 2 and 3 bars.  That's it. As mentionned before I have tried to disconnect the phone, and removed the battery and that did not help.  At this time the phone seems to be working properly however... until it does that again.  Is there a known permanent fix for this issue?  I realized I am not the only one with this problem.

Thanks

Hey @BeachBear,   

Hmm, we'll need to take a closer look!

I'll send you a PM and we'll continue over there Smiley

FidoKenny

Hey @mrgroot and thanks for reaching out.

Sorry to see that you're having so much trouble with your home phone.

I do see that you mentioned trying to unplug the modem and removing the battery as well. Did you get a chance to remove and put back in the sim card?

And you said you switched modems already. Were your old modems giving you the same issue?

Let me know.

Hey @mrgroot

Do you get a busy signal with all of your outgoing calls? 

mrgroot
At the moment, yes 😐

Thanks for confirming! 

Are you using the SIM card for the Home Phone line in the device or a mobile SIM card? You should have 4 lights displayed if it's plugged in. Are all 4 lights on? 

Also, can you tell me the color of the reception lights on the right side of your device? 

mrgroot
It's the home phone SIM. The lights that are lit are the power indicator, the battery status, and reception/signal strength. All are green, signal strength is max.

Thanks! Have you tried plugging your phone into the second jack on the Wireless Home Phone device? 

Hey @mrgroot

Did that help? Let us know if this has been resolved and what steps you took Smiley

mrgroot
Hi Fido Christina, fortunately (unfortunately?) the modem seems to be working normally once again on jack 1, so haven't had a chance to test your latest solution but I will for sure keep it in mind and come back here if the problem surfaces again. Thank you!

@mrgroot Glad to see that it's working!

Let us know should anything else come up. Smiley

mrgroot

Thanks FidoKenny. Indeed I did also yank the sim card and reinsert. Sorry if I was not clear, this is my first home phone modem... should I bring the modem in to Fido?