Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Gear S2 3g - e-sim card

sendwad
I'm a participant level 3

Hello,

I recently purchased a unlocked Samsung Gear S2 3g/GSM smart watch and I'm trying to get connected to the fido network.  This unit is not like Gear S model which will accept a SIM card, this unit has an embedded e-sim that acts as a regular card.

I have called FIDO and I get a typical response that unless it's a fido SIM card it can't be activated.  However it has all the regular information, ie IMEI, etc. and was wondering if someone had any luck getting a e-sim device connected to their network.  As I'm trying to use the forward calling feature from my phone to the watch without having it connected via bluetooth.

Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks,

Wade.

**Edited to add tags

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Sendwad,

Welcome to the community!

A couple of considerations... Where did you get the device? Some versions of that device might not have the compatible bands/frequencies. You can verify whether it is compatible with the networks here.

Additionally, is your phone also with Fido and did you purchase a separate plan for the device? I imagine that it would require its own plan. I don't think a plan can have two separate SIMs associated with it at the same time. 

If you did purchase a separate plan, you might be able to update the SIM information for that plan in My Account.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

sendwad

Hello,

Thank you for the response, so the watch is an unlocked AT&T rogers device, and it will work on any network and is compatible with Fido's.  

Yes I'm currently with Fido, and I'm not trying to use a single plan, I want a new plan for the watch, so 2 in total, however since it's an E-SIM and not a regular SIM, Fido can't activate it unless the sim card comes from FIDO.

Once I have it on a mobile network, the software takes care of the rest, I just want to get a plan for the watch.

Hope this makes sense,

Wade.

Hey @sendwad

We'll check if we support e-SIM cards for you and get back to you as soon as possible. Smiley

sendwad

Thank you I look forward to hearing back from, you as I hope I can set this device up on a new plan.

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @sendwad, unfortunately eSIM cards are not supported on our network at the moment.

sendwad

ok, Thank you for trying.

Wade.