cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unlocking my iPhone 5

Adekunle
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

0 results for I am trying to unlock my iPhone 5, fido sent me an email on how to unlock my phone, reading through it seems they only explain how to unlock a phone that is already in use, in my own case, I am trying to unlock a brand new phone I got as exchange for my previous phone from fido, does anyone have a solution to this please?

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@Adekunle wrote:
0 results for I am trying to unlock my iPhone 5, fido sent me an email on how to unlock my phone, reading through it seems they only explain how to unlock a phone that is already in use, in my own case, I am trying to unlock a brand new phone I got as exchange for my previous phone from fido, does anyone have a solution to this please?

Hello Adekunle,

Welcome to the community!

The unlocking of a phone is specific to the phone's IMEI number so the phone will need to be registered to your account. 

Unlock.jpg

Taken from here.

Since your new phone is an exchange for your previous device, it might not need to be registered on your account for more than 90 days. Once it's registered (or after 90 days), you can then request the phone to be unlocked.

**edit** iPhone unlocking codes are pushed directly to the devices from the carriers. If your new phone is not registered, and Fido pushed the unlock code for your old device to your new phone, that code would not work.**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @Adekunle & welcome to the Community! Smiley

In order to have your phone unlocked, you'd need to send us the proof of exchange from Apple. Otherwise, the IMEI will need to have been registered to your account for 90 days, as mentioned by @Cawtau

Hope this helps!