cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a new phone

onay
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I'm currently on a 2-year contract with my LG G3 mobile device. I have a year left, but I heard my brother will be getting me a new iPhone SE for my birthday. Should I cancel my plan? Would it be possible to stay at my current plan, or do I need to sign up on a pre-paid phone plan? How much would I have to pay for my cancellation fee?

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Onay,

Welcome to the community!

One thing to consider is the size of the SIMs. The LG G3 uses a micro-SIM while the iPhone SE uses a nano-SIM. Unless your current SIM is one of the 3-in-1's, you may need to purchase a new SIM. You can then activate and transfer your account to the new SIM online. 

There are methods of cutting a SIM down to size, but I wouldn't recommend doing so.

Aside: If you do notify Fido you are using a different phone, you may get charged the $25 hardware upgrade fee. 

**edit** Something else to consider... Since you'll be switching from android to Apple, I'm not sure how voicemail would work in that case. There are two numbers for accessing voicemail, one for android and the other for iPhone visual voicemail. Would Fido need to get notified in order to switch voicemail systems?**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

@Cawtau We would need to be notified if the customer wants to use the visual voicemail function embedded in the iPhone. 

If they're old school and dial 1 to access their messages, no need to notify us! Smiley

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2
You don't have to do anything. You just need to put your SIM into the new phone and start using it. You don't even need to tell Fido about it. You can even sell your LG, or keep it as a backup phone.

If you want to switch to a BYOP plan, you would have to pay back half the subsidy you got on your phone because you're halfway through your contact.