Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OS Updates

Vacf
I'm a participant level 3

Hi,

I brought my own phone to Fido (BYOP) and I was wondering if I'm able to get OS updates for my phone if and when there is a OS update available?  Will Fido provide the OS update for my phone or is it up to me to get it?  (not sure how I would do that)  Also when a platform (ie Android, iOS, Blackberry or Windows) gets a OS update does the company send it to all carriers world wide or is it only to the carriers that sell their phones?

Thanks for your help.

Vacf

***Edited to add Labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

@Vacf wrote:

Hi,

I brought my own phone to Fido (BYOP) and I was wondering if I'm able to get OS updates for my phone if and when there is a OS update available?  Will Fido provide the OS update for my phone or is it up to me to get it?  (not sure how I would do that)  Also when a platform (ie Android, iOS, Blackberry or Windows) gets a OS update does the company send it to all carriers world wide or is it only to the carriers that sell their phones?

Thanks for your help.

Vacf

Hello Vacf,

Answers to your questions largely depend on what phone you're referring to.

For example, Nexus phones get their android OS updates directly from Google.

On the other hand, the process takes a bit longer with some other phone manufacturers. Taking Samsung phones as an example, once an android update is available, it is sent to Samsung to integrate with their proprietary interface, TouchWiz. After that is complete, it is sent to the mobile companies who often incorporate their own bits into the mix. Once that is done, it is then available as an over-the-air (OTA) update.

If you're referring to the OnePlus X you queried previously, OnePlus uses their own customised versions of android, OxygenOS or HydrogenOS (Chinese version). I believe you should get OTA updates directly from OnePlus. **edit** If you have a Chinese version, they may not provide a HydrogenOS update OTA in North America.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Vacf

Thanks for the help. 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

If you bought the phone directly from the manufacture then you will get the update when and if that manufacture releases an update. If the phone is from a provider either Fido or anyother then if the Manufacture release an update then yu have to wait for the carrier to push the update.

If you have a nexus phone it does not matter which carrier you got it from you will get the update directly from google.

If you have an Apple phone you will get the update directly from Apple.

hope this helps.