cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Server blocked

dougalco
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

I have received this message several times. This one was on Nov 13.

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
<events@torontobluessociety.com>
    (reason: 554 p3plibsmtp01-01.prod.phx3.secureserver.net bizsmtp 74.198.8.2 has been blocked for the day, for attempting to mail too many invalid recipients. IB113   <http://x.co/rlbounce>)

I was using the phone as an outgoing email server with USB Tethering to my laptop at the time. The server IP address is registered to Rogers Wireless.

It concerns me that the Rogers (Fido) mail server is being blocked for abuse and could be unavailable to me when I want to use it for legitimate purposes.

Perhaps Fido could comment on this? Anyone else have this problem? 

When I reported it last time vie email, the person had no clue, told me that it was my fault and tech support is not given by email.

Dougal

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

disenchanted
I'm a participant level 2

Hey dougalco - did you get any resolution to this?  The same thing has been happening to me - all the time now when I try to email someone who has an email with Shaw or Apple specifically.  My messages show the exact information as yours with a slightly different IP address. '74.198.28.230 has been blocked ', ' has been rejected due to poor reputation'.  It's frustrating because I can't email out at all, unless I go through another provider (GMAIL).

Nothing has changed on my phone, I'm still using the below (which I always was previsouly):

Outgoing settings (when on LTE / 3/4G) - gprs.fido.ca.  Port 25.  Security Type - None.

74.198.28.230 is in Toronto, and I'm in Alberta, not sure if that matters at all.

zyx
I'm qualified level 2
I'm qualified level 2

Look over here for the explanation, but the short answer is don't use Fido's servers because there is nothing that Fido can do to solve the situation in the short term. And a long term solution comes with issues anyway.

Plus, it won't work when you're on WiFi anyway.

Oh, and one thing I did not cover in the other thread is that if you use Fido's servers, then the receiving system (Shaw or Apple, for example), will see that the email claims to be from Google, but didn't come from Google's servers. By itself, it's not an issue, but it pushes your email toward being treated as spam. A few little things like that might make it pass the boundary when sending emails to servers that aggressively filter out spam.

Using your email provider's servers (such as GMail) will work every time - there are no drawbacks.

disenchanted

Thanks for the quick response!

FidoStephane

Hi there dougalco, 

What email provider are you using, and what outgoing mail server are you using?