cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HTC Desire 510 frequency question

Roskov
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

I know the basics of how fido has GSM, UMTS, HSPA and HSPA+ at 850 MHz and 1900 MHz and LTE at 2100 MHz and 2600 MHz. But if some of you have more knowledge about these things there is one thing I want to know.

HTC Desire 510 has the following specs:

2G: GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 

3G: HSDPA 850 / 900 / 2100 

4G: LTE 800 / 1800 / 2600 

On 3G and on LTE it has only 1 out of the 2 frequencies, so how does this affect the service? I know it would work ofcourse, but how much of a difference does it make? I want an honest answer since if not might as well buy different phone. 

If somebody has an HTC Desire 510 would be even better if you could give me a review.

I'm looking to buy one for family but hardware technical stuff like this is not my best asset Confused

***Edited to add labels***

3 REPLIES 3

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

Are you not planning on purchasing the phone from Fido, then? The HTC Desire 510 on the Fido website does appear to support both HSPA frequencies as well as the LTE frequencies:

• LTE Bands: 1900/1700/850/2600/700 MHz
  • LTE Speeds up to : 100 Mbps
  • HSPA: 850/1700/1900 MHz
  • GSM: 850/900/1800/1900 MHz

Taken from: http://www.fido.ca/web/page/portal/Fido/devices?PhoneSKU=DSR510WHT#specs

Interesting that they list 1700 but not 2100 because 1700 is essentially AWS. I'm curious if they would (or even could) use 1700 upload and 2600 download, kinda modified AWS...

As for purchasing non-Canadian versions of phones, I'm not convinced that a phone without AWS can access the Fido LTE network even though the phones support 2600 (or 700 for that matter). I only heard of 1 person who *might have gotten 4G using 2600 without AWS. Maybe people who are able to access the LTE network without AWS don't have any problems with their phones and therefore do not post on forums requesting help. Or maybe I haven't searched the forums enough... 

So, you are warned. Unless you can get confirmation from someone else regarding a phone with the specs you provided actually accessing Fido/Rogers' LTE, then I'm doubtful that it'll work on LTE.

Cheers

Roskov
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Well I was looking at the specs on gsmarena. But even on fido.ca it says LTE bands 2600 only, so no 2100.

But again I see you made a thread about this so will just wait to see if people have good lte service on phone without the 2100 band.

Thanks for the info!

@Roskov wrote:

Well I was looking at the specs on gsmarena. But even on fido.ca it says LTE bands 2600 only, so no 2100.

But again I see you made a thread about this so will just wait to see if people have good lte service on phone without the 2100 band.

Thanks for the info!

Hello again,

In some circles, AWS should only be referred to as 1700 and subsequently the 2100 aspect  is not always stated because it often gets confused with Band 1. So I think the model listed on the Fido website is AWS compatible and therefore would be able to access Fido/Rogers' networks without issue. I highly doubt Fido would advertise a phone that was only partially compatible with it's own network.

As an aside, I found this thread quite interesting - especially the later posts. I know they're referring to a different phone, but it's the frequencies/bands that I was interested in.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/xperia-z/help/lost-reception-data-connection-rogers-t2176730

I hope this doesn't go against any forum rules by posting a thread from a different forum, but I feel it's important here. It also fuels my speculations in my post above.

Cheers