cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

home phone - roaming

psyling
I'm a contributor level 1

i tried to call from Toronto to Waterloo and my home wireless phone told me that it will be roaming?

will I pay for this? or it just a warning without any financial consequences?

***Edited to add labels***

8 REPLIES 8

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@psyling wrote:

i tried to call from Toronto to Waterloo and my home wireless phone told me that it will be roaming?

will I pay for this? or it just a warning without any financial consequences?

Are you sure it said roaming? That makes no sense at all. By definition, roaming means your phone/SIM is on another network other than Fido/Rogers. It has nothing, ever, to do with the number you are trying to call.

psyling

So if it says ROAMING and I have Canada unlimited plan it does not mean I have to pay extra? Is that what you are saying?

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@psyling wrote:

So if it says ROAMING and I have Canada unlimited plan it does not mean I have to pay extra? Is that what you are saying?

You won't pay for long distance. But if your phone says roaming, that is either a mistake or your phone is actually roaming, which would be strange for a home phone. If it is actually roaming on another network, say Bell or Wind, then you might be charged roaming. These charges would be regardless of if you make or receive a call. 

The only "legitimate" reason I can think that it would say roaming would be if the phone/adapter you are using is not provided by Fido. In that case it might be say roaming because it is on the rogers network and Fido provided phones have tweeks to know that isn't really roaming. Did you get the phone or adapter from Fido?

psyling

Yes I bought rhe whole dievice from Fido.

It was my wife who said it was ROAMING. 

Actually it said "This is a long-distance call. Please dial 1 on order to avoid this message. Please wait while we complete this call"

So I guess it is free.......

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@psyling wrote:

Yes I bought rhe whole dievice from Fido.

It was my wife who said it was ROAMING. 

Actually it said "This is a long-distance call. Please dial 1 on order to avoid this message. Please wait while we complete this call"

So I guess it is free.......

Ok, that makes more sense. It is a long distance call, hence the message. The system knows it is LD, so it gives that message. If you dial 1 then you shouldn't get that message. Since you have unlimited Canadian LD you shouldn't incur any LD fees. (and no roaming since it isn't roaming Smiley )

Anonymous
Not applicable
that means you forgot to put the 1 infront of the number, the system found the mistake you made and corrected it and is just remindnig you for future. and this has nothing to do with roaming

psyling

1. Can I call from my home phone to US? will I be charged?

2. Can i take my home phone to US and make calls there (without arranging for roaming)?

@psyling wrote:

1. Can I call from my home phone to US? will I be charged?

2. Can i take my home phone to US and make calls there (without arranging for roaming)?

Hey psyling!

So sorry this post was missed! 

You can absolutely use you home phone to call to the US! The rate for calling to the US with the Home phone is $0.05  per minute, however, if you make a lot of calls to the US, we also offer an add-on for 5000 minutes of US long distance. This option is $10 per month.

You can also bring your home phone device to the US and use it to make calls while there. Standard roaming rates will apply of $1.45 per minute.

Hope this helps!