cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Locked Rogers Iphone working on a existing Fido Plan?

KieranZC
I'm a participant level 1

Would this be possible?

Background: I have a Iphone 4 that is locked to rogers but I hear that they are owned by the same company, so I am wondering I could use my pre existing plan/sim card on this phone with out unlocking 

Thanks! :cathappy:

***Edited to add labels***

6 REPLIES 6

gezimcela
I'm a participant level 3
I'm a participant level 3

Hi there. In commons the phones owned by Rogers are working on Fido SIM cards with every plan doesn’t matter what plan do you have but only SIM card. Or you can call fido *611 and give them your phone indentificatoon number and you will know for sure what to do. Let me know if your issue is resolved. If not contact me here and I will help you with other ways.

phamdang58

i need to unlock iphone 4

jekyl
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Go to any small cell store that is privately owned. They will usually unlock for about $10

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2

@jekyl wrote:

Go to any small cell store that is privately owned. They will usually unlock for about $10

If you want it properly unlocked, using Apple's IMEI whitelist, you will pay more than $10. The 3rd parties pay people inside Rogers to do the unlocks and they have to change at least what Rogers charges because the payment has to be made into Rogers systems. This means, at a minimum, assuming the Rogers employee does it for cost with no profit and the unlocker also does it for cost, that it will cost $50 for any iPhone. 

If you want to use a baseband exploit then that might be cheap, but only if you have never updated the OS without preserving your baseband or if you use the Gevey SIM, but that has many limitations itself.

10yearfido
I'm an expert level 2
I'm an expert level 2
You would have to get it unlocked. The fact they are owned by the same company doesn't make a difference.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Rogers and fido were once seperately owned companies each with their own unique hardware and sim card hardware different from one another,  once rogers corporation purchased the fido brand, the hardware stayed the same. The phone is not smart enough to know that the board of directors at rogers purchased fido and the phone will still treat a rogers sim card as different than a fido sim card and will not accept it.