cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido Wi-Fi Calling question

WickyLeBlond
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Firstly, I appologize if I posted in the wrong section, but it seemed like the right place.

I actually have two questions about this feature.

The first is a simple one. If I have an unlimited long-distance option on my line, would that mean that with the unlimited local Wi-Fi calling that I'd be unlimited in all of Canada as well?

And the second, I was wondering if I would be right to believe, since the Curve 8520 is compatible with Wi-Fi, that any other unlocked Blackberry device with Wi-Fi would be compatible as well?

Thanks in advanced

***Edited to add labels***

5 REPLIES 5

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @Community! 

Just wanted to update this older thread. The compatibilities for Wi-Fi Calling have changed. You can check out this thread here for the updates and requirements.

Hope that helps! Smiley 

Anonymous
Not applicable
Wi-Fi and UMA are seperate features. A phone with Wi-Fi needs the UMA functionality to re-route calls instead of over GSM to over the secure internet connection to the core network.

Any FIDO phone that is UMA compatible will work, however Unlocked Rogers phones that have UMA feature in them also seem to work just fine for me as well.

Other carriers UMA phones may not work, as they do not have the rogers/fido UMA access point provisioned in them, they may be tied to the other carriers UMA server.

And to answer your question, I have long distance included in my plan, when I'm on UMA, calls appear to be originating from my home location so yes it comes out of my bucket of LD and Local minutes, which is unlimited for me anyways.

Hope this clarifies

WickyLeBlond
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Yes it does. Thanks.

I'm actually going to be getting a UMA compatible Rogers Torch soon, so I wanted to see if the option was compatible before I started paying for it. Tongue

Anonymous
Not applicable
my friend has the uma compatible Rogers Bold 9700, very similar phone and uses it on Fido, thogh he unlocked his and it works just fine. The Fdio and Rogers both connect to the same UMA server

WickyLeBlond
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1
Good to know. Thanks Smiley