Frequent Advisor
pablo85

New hardware upgrade fee of $25

If anyone else has noticed, as of December 1st, Fido has introduced a new and unjustified fee to "upgrade" a phone.  This applies only to existing customers and is on top of the posted price of a phone. 

My belief is that this breaches the contract I have to be able to redeem fido dollars on phone upgrades at $1 for each Fido dollar.  If the contract is breached, then I have no obligation to the final 7 months of my contract which is actually a blessing.

I would like to hear some opinions about this breach and whether it is illegal.  Agents on the phone suggest it is a true reflection of the cost of providing me a phone, but that is obviously new Fido accounting which effectively reduces my fido dollars value by 25.

I would consider launching a campaign to make the public aware of this new policy.  If I was grandfathered, I might not have a leg to stand on, but changing the terms of existing customers contracts is clearly a breach.  Sure, they could build an extra $25 into each phone price but obviously they couldn't then compete with the legitimate prices of their competitors.

Opinions please, even those who think all's fair in Fido

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
tupput

Re: New hardware upgrade fee of $25

It's not an extra cost of providing a phone, it's just a money grab.  There is also a $35 activation fee charged regardless if they ship out the phone or if you pick up at the dealer.  So thats and extra $60 now.  Also if you wanted a smartphone you have to have a minimum $50 voice/data plan.  These new policies are going to negatively affect Fido. 

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
pablo85

ah, great yet another fee that would suprise me.

Let's see, $25 for me to go to the fido store to pick up the phone.

$35 for me to snap in the SIM?

Mr. Birahim didn't point out the extra $35 to me.  I'll have to look into that.  So if I want to sell my $150 fido dollars to someone who wanted a fido phone, I could get maybe $75 which would give them $90 in buying power for an overpriced phone?

Fido rocks!

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
thejuda

What do you expect from a company that STILL charges for caller ID. 

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
pablo85

question for you....if I'm already a fido customer, I wouldn't have to pay the activation fee for just replacing my current phone sim chip right?  it is not a new activation, just a broken phone.....already have account, sim etc.

On the callerid thing, you'll notice they all withold that feature (Bell, Rogers, etc).  Not only that, it is never clear that its not included nor is it clear during the "checkout" how to add it.  You realize once you get the service that it's going to cost you another $7/25 or 28% above the $25 package to have caller id.  It probably costs them money to block the **bleep** callerid.  All the useless feature packs are the ones that they throw in  as free feature packs.

Wind mobile is a substially better deal if you have coverage.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
pablo85

answering my own question, no, someone upgrading a phone but still on a plan doesn't have to pay an additional activation fee of $35.

one more thing to note though, you can't pay the new $25  "take-it-in-the-ass" fee from your fido dollars, you need real money for that fee that allows you to spend your fake fido dollars on the full price but fido-locked phone.

Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
tupput

even if still on a plan you are charged the  $35 activation fee and as of dec. 1 the $25 cash grab so thats $60 to upgrade as well as the cost of the phone if applicable, although, I think till the end of the month the activation fee is waived.  It was when I ordered the iphone on one of my plans last month. 

Please use plain text.
Occasional Visitor
MRob

I went to buy a new phone today as my phone will simply not last another week.  It took me an hour to get to the fido store.  it took me 15 minutes just to talk to someone. there was no advertisement of this fee, they had no written proof of this fee, yet they waited until the last second to tell me this charge is now in effect. I was gone in 2 seconds.

it then took 45 minutes on hold to talk to someone at fido on the phone to complain (i'm amazing my phone lasted that long). yes, i shouldnt have gotten so pissed off at $25, but when i have been giving them money for 2.5 years to accumulate 60 fidodollars. then they want to charge me another 25 just to use fidodollars... i got pissed off.  perhaps i should be charging fido for the multiple hours of my time they wasted... fido, you owe me $75. plus your going to have to pay me a $25 administration fee for me to take your money. 

this is definitely enough for me and my wife to not renew our contracts and to urge everybody we know not to go with fido.  

-fido, you did not make 25 dollars off me. you did not get the sale of a new phone from me. you just lost at minimum 9 years of contract sales.  i hope the 25 dollars is worth it.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
FidoCustomer

I don't know if it will help or if it will simply be a cathartic action, but if you want to voice your concerns beyond a forum that may get no attention, these are some avenues:

You can fill out their web form here, go straight to step 3:
Some direct hone numbers that may still be active:
866-397-3436
866-228-7109
Mailing address:
Fido Office Of the President
800 Rue De La Gauchetiere O Bureau 4000
Montreal, QC
H5A 1K3
Email addresses for senior Fido/Rogers executives:
Alan J. Horn: alan.horn@rci.rogers.com
Nadir H. Mohamed: nadir.mohamed@rci.rogers.com
Robert W. Bruce: robert.bruce@rci.rogers.com
Sometimes you have to make some noise. Be polite but clear with your complaints. If you truly do intend to leave, let them know. If you have been with them for many years, let them know.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
pablo85

@mRob

Careful using the word "pissed", because tone-police like FidoErin are listening in for negativity.  Have a sip of the coolaid and then reconsider your words.

yes, well I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one that senses the corporate arrogance.  It's like the customer support people are school teachers and they don't discuss your concerns, they just tell you "HOW IT IS".  They are entitled to waste your time, take your money from your account without authorization, unilaterally change the terms of your contract, steal $25 from your wallet (you can't use fido dollars to pay that illegal fee by the way).   They ARE trained to apologize, or say "sorry for the inconvenience" so that officially they are "professional" after they have "professionally" pick pocketed you or greased your ass. 

What I find interesting is that they don't even realize they treat you like that.  It's like god has given them some extra authority and entitlement, for they are the phone company.

I would urge you to vote with your feet and, alas, there are more corporate criminals where they came from so tread carefully, but I would try Wind if you can get coverage.  They will be the best bet, however Rogers will use Chatr to undercut them just long enough to put them out of business or cut enough customers so they need higher rates to survive.

You should also read FidoCustomer's post where he has some contact numbers.  I have spoken with a fellow in the "President's Office" before after Fido unilaterally cancelled their family plan and left me in a plan that I couldn't tweak nor could I use any online tools for my plan (as promised in my contract terms) because "your plan does not exist any more sir, sorry for the inconvenience".  The agent at the PO did actually address my concern and let me and my family out of my non existent family plan into individual plans for the duration of the contract, however an administative glitch led to an immediate renewal of all four of our individual family plans for a three year term....."sorry for any inconvenience, do you have a transcript of the discussion which allowed you out of your non existent family plan....".  Another 8 hours of lovely customer service and that one was solved.....actually, another glitch leading to one of the members of my family suddenly being converted to his hown account,  to a paper bill and not automatic payment led to an unpaid monthly bill which billing then attacked me for, sicking a collection agency on my, however with repeated calls to customer service they told me there was no amount owing on my account but when I asked them to call billing to have them call off the dogs, they told me they don't communicate internally with billing, but it turns out, an internal administrative glitch led to them creating a new account that neither customer service nor I knew about which owed $15, part of one month where my son had his own temporary account......another 10 hours with customer service and that one was solved......"sorry for the inconvenience....."

yeah, they feel they could run over your dog in your living room and its all clear as long as they say "sorry for the inconveniece".

But I would urge you to call the office of the pres, senior executives, and express your concern.  Probably will waste a few more hours of your time but maybe some others will do the same and make an impact.

I still don't believe it will cost me an activation fee as well as the $25 "in-the-ass" fee to upgrade my phone....I asked that specific question to an agent yesterday but I can hear them now as I stand in line at their kiosk...."do you have a transcript of that discussion?......sorry for the inconvenience.... that will be $60....."

It really is amazing, but I honestly think the Fido troops on the ground don't realize they're part of this "system meant to frustrate and foil any attempts to access valuable Fido resources".

it would be funny if it wasn't so

Please use plain text.