Occasional Contributor
tdan198

fido dollars

Hi, my iphone got stolen and I was wandering whether i can use my fido dollars to get the acer liquid at full price? i have lots of fido dollars. Or do i have to be at the end of my contract to be able to do this? I already have a data plan with my current line.

Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
pablo85

Re: fido dollars

[ Edited ]

Fido changed the terms of the fido dollars.  You can't upgrade to that smartphone.  There is a page on their site that lists the non-smartphones eligible and yes, you can purchase them at full price without any more committment to an agreement.

They will, however, steal $25 from you to allow you the honour of purchasing one of their phones.  *removed profanity*

So yes, your Fido dollars are close to worthless. 

I would suggest using Kijiji or ebay and offering to "sell" your fido dollars at a discount.  So if you have $200 fido dollars, you could offer them for $140 for some sucker wanting to buy a fido locked phone.  You can't officially transfer the dollars but you could buy the phone and sell it at a discount or meet them at the store, you buy the phone with the fido dollars, they can provide cash to upgrade.   Easiest would be just buy a popular phone and then turn around and sell it as new in the box locked to Fido, or pay the $10 it takes to unlock it and open up the market a bit.

Please use plain text.
Diamond Emperor
Paolo

Fido is charging to process a hardware upgrade, not to use your Fido Dollars. Even if you didn't have any points, you'd still pay the $25. As well, if you use your Fido dollars for options on your account instead, you would NOT be charged that fee.

Make sure your story reflects the whole truth, and not just your opinion, otherwise that is libel and the article loses integrity
I'm NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and don't represent the views of this website. If you like my posts, please give it a Thumbs Up
Please use plain text.
Diamond Emperor
Paolo

[ Edited ]

and a little FYI for Pablo85 incase he decides to thread poo fido for the admin fee:

The admin fee is bullish fee, but it is not a discriminatory fee towards users using Fido Dollars, or users downgrading the quality of their handsets. It is a charged that is placed on the account for buying a new phone on an existing account. Fido charges it, Rogers charges it, Bell charges it, Telus charges it, ATT charges it, Tmobile USA charges it, Verizon charges it.

I'm NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and don't represent the views of this website. If you like my posts, please give it a Thumbs Up
Please use plain text.
Frequent Advisor
pablo85

hmmm, I don't remember suggesting that an admin fee applied to adding options?

I made an example for the phone purchase to make things simple for those that needed it (you apparently).

but, if you want to somehow turn that into libel, be my guest fido-lawyer-paolo

Please use plain text.
Community Manager (Retired)
FidoErin

@pablo85 @paolo

Please remember; our community is a place for constructive discussions among Fido customers.

There's several community guidelines to follow to foster a professional and helpful community interaction, and create a positive experience for everyone.

Thanks!

Click on the thumbs up image description of the photo to like a post or a fellow member of the community.

And don't forget to click Accept as Solution in the options drop-down menu once you've received the answer you were looking for; it'll help our community grow stronger.

Cliquez sur l'image du pouce en l'air description of the photo pour signifier votre appréciation d'un message ou d'un autre membre de la communauté.

Et n'oubliez pas de cliquer Accepté comme une solution dans les options du menu déroulant, lorsque vous aurez obtenu la réponse que vous recherchiez.

Please use plain text.
Diamond Emperor
Paolo

Thanks for the reminder FidoErin.

I will strive to make and participate in constructive discussions from this point on.
Please use plain text.
Advisor
sweetone

Yes good point Erin.

Please use plain text.