Occasional Advisor
RugbyDude2
Accepted Solution

WiFi without a Data Plan and other questions..

I've been pondering for days how this works, and I don't want to call Fido each time I have a new question so here are a few:

1) do I get charged extra if I am on a WiFi Connection and not having a data plan?

2)does sending/receiving pictures via IM (i,e, bbm, msn, yahoo) cost as well?

3) downloading free apps on blackberry.com while connected over wifi free?

Please use plain text.
Silver Contributor
spegs

Re: WiFi without a Data Plan and other questions..

RugbyDude2 wrote:

I've been pondering for days how this works, and I don't want to call Fido each time I have a new question so here are a few:

1) do I get charged extra if I am on a WiFi Connection and not having a data plan?

2)does sending/receiving pictures via IM (i,e, bbm, msn, yahoo) cost as well?

3) downloading free apps on blackberry.com while connected over wifi free?

Hi RugbyDude2

1) If you are using a wifi connection you will not incur data charges

2) Instant messaging is included with your data plan:

Unlimited Social Networking & Instant Messaging for BlackBerry add-on includes unlimited instant messaging (including Windows Live Messenger, Yahoo! Messenger, Google Talk and BlackBerry Messenger) and Unlimited Social Networking (FacebookTM, Twitter and MySpace applications) with a BlackBerry smartphone on the Fido network. No other data usage will be available with this add-on, which cannot be combined with a Data add-on. Usage subject to Fido Terms and Conditions and Acceptable Use Policy, available at fido.ca/terms. International data roaming rate of 3¢ per KB, and special U.S. data roaming rate of $0.006 per KB

Or any other data plan (500mb, 6gb. etc). You will not be charged for using these services with the appropriate Fido plan.

3) You will not be using your data as long as you are connected to your wifi while online.

Hope that answers your questions. :smileyhappy:

Please use plain text.
Diamond Emperor
Paolo

[ Edited ]

@RugbyDude2

I also want to stress that you *Require* a blackberry plan subscription to *gain* access to the blackberry BBM Services. Having a Blackberry with NO DATA and WIFI will NOT work. Blackberries check your SIM Card for BB Provisioning first, and once it sees it, you can then use BBM over Wifi, even if you have no service (GSM signal lost)

Hope this helps.

Be sure to click likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)

I'm NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and don't represent the views of this website. If you like my posts, please give it a Thumbs Up
Please use plain text.
Occasional Advisor
RugbyDude2

@Paolo

I do have the Social Networking add-on for blackberry but none of the 500MB , 1GB data add on.... is that enough to let me use WiFi ? thanks.

Please use plain text.
Diamond Emperor
Paolo

Hi RugbyDude. It depends all on if the WIFI service book is sent to your phone with that Data Option. I am not sure if its part of the provisioning, because if fido sends it, then it will give you wifi access to the browser, if they dont then there is no way to surf. Most of the apps on the Berry are controlled by service books, and I think you already know kinda how it works, cus if you try a browser on your plan but your connected to GSM/EDGE you cant surf. Surfing while connected to WIFI is controlled in the same manor, the only way to know for sure is to try it and see.

Be sure to click likes for those who have helped you!
Click Accept as Solution for posts that have solved your issue(s)
I'm NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and don't represent the views of this website. If you like my posts, please give it a Thumbs Up
Please use plain text.