cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wifi Calling in US - Phone switches to "No Service"

Paul720
I'm a participant level 2

I'm travelling in the US and trying to take advantage of Fido Wifi calling. It works great in Canada, but while in the US this is what I'm experiencing on my iPhone 6s (with presumably the latest carrier update as I updated it a few days ago);

- Phone connects to "AT&T" as indicated at top of screen. So far so good.

- I then enable WIFI and connect to a WIFI network. Connection success.

- Status at top of screen briefly changes from "AT&T" to "Fido WIFI". 

- About a second later, the status changes from "Fido WIFI" to "No Service". 

- "No Service" remains on display until I switch off WIFI, then it connects back to AT&T.

I can reproduce this over and over. Any one else experience this? Suggestions? Wifi connection speedtest shows 15.7 mbps download and 2.21 mbps upload speeds, so I don't believe my wifi connection to be the issue.

***Edited to add labels***

4 REPLIES 4

FidoSamantha
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Good morning Paul720!

Welcome to the Community Smiley 

Is it possible that it hasn't been working since you updated it or did you get a chance to use it in Canada before you left the country?

Let me know!

Paul720

An update for you. I got it working with the following workaround (using research from some other forums, including apple);

- Turn on airplane mode.

- Remove and replace SIM card.

- Activate Wifi and connect to wifi network - keeping airplane mode enabled.

- Connection to Fido WiFI then successful.

It seems the problem occurs when the phone is able to access the US cell network- as if I follow the above, then disable airplane mode, it switches back to "No Service".

Hope this is helpful to someone as a workaround in the interim.

You're awesome Paul720!

Thanks for getting back to us and for sharing your solution Very_Happy 

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Paul720

Two months later I'm still having a problem with the phone switching to "No Service" when wifi calling is enabled and roaming in the US. I have 2 phones (my wife's iPhone 6, my iPhone 6s) which are on separate Fido accounts both with the same issue. There is another thread on Howard Forums as well with similar issues for Rogers customers roaming in the US.

Hope to get this resolved soon, turning on airplane mode everytime you have a wifi connection is a bit tedious.