cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No data plan, can't use WiFi like I was told I could

progpunk76
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Just re-upped my subscription for two more years, Kept old plan with no data. Got a Samsung Galaxy Ace II x and was told i could use WiFi. Everytime I connect fido won't let me connect to the internet and says I need a data plan. Did I get told wrong info or can i fix this problem. I am new to smart phones by the way. Thanks for any help that can be given.

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

By default, your phone will try to connect to the internet via a data connection. If you try to access the internet without a data addon, you will get that message from Fido to choose a data package. According to Fido.ca, the Ace II is indeed equip with WIFI. You must successfully connect to a WIFI network first, then attempt to use the internet or you will continue to get that pop-up from Fido. Go into your settings and try to connect to wifi first. Hope this helps friend Smiley

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

You can also disable mobile data in your phone settings so that you'll only have access to Wi-Fi. This would prevent the message from being sent when you're not connected to a Wi-Fi network.

It would be in settings > wireless & networks  - more > mobile networks > mobile data.