cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Long Distance Calling...Using Card ?

TommyElder23
I'm a participant level 3

Hello ! I have a question, that might seem silly to some... but I just want to make sure.

I want to make a long distance call to the US, I have already made that call by purchasing a long distance calling card at a convenience store.

Will Fido charge me extra for my long distance call ?

Thank you ! Smiley

17 REPLIES 17

TommyElder23

I received my bill a couple of days ago. I was NOT charged for my long distance calls Very_Happy ( When making calls to the US, make sure to purchase the VISA calling card. it's 2.50$ )

I also received incomming long distance calls and I was not charged for those either. Hurray ! Very_Happy

Anonymous
Not applicable

of course you weren't charged. thats completely normal behaviour of the phone company.

calling cards only use up your airtime rate. receiving a LD call does not matter where the call originates from either, its considered just an incoming call and subject to your airtime rate.

TommyElder23
I am sure of that , but I have had instances where I was charged whilst using a LD card. I have friends who received a LD incoming calls and were still charged 35 cents a minute.

Anonymous
Not applicable
be carefull what number of the calling card you are dialing. I was in the 905 niagara region but called a 905 "peel region" number advertized on a calling card, thus incurred long distance charges, I realized later on the calling card had a "proper" local number for my area. Thats the only way you can have LD charges whilst using a Calling card, other than that, if you dial LOCAL, you get billed a LOOCAL call, the fido company does not see any of the calls you make with the calling card, they cant even bill you by "accident" because all they see is the local number you dialed to reach the calling card.

Acinonyx
I'm a participant level 1
That's not true, I was charged long distance charges when using a long distance card even though I called the local number on the card.

I called customer service and the, very rude, customer service rep told me they don't support calling cards at all.

So which, is it? If some people have been able to use calling cards and other haven't then what the hell's going on?

Anonymous
Not applicable

do u have some kind of bill to back up that statement?

i find it really hard to believe you were charged long distance for a local call, unless you have a phone bill to show us, and even then, it depends on if you were in your LCA or not.

eruca

i have been charged more than 70$ for long distance call with a international calling card. i talked with customer service not very nice though. they told me they dont support calling card.  My friend never been charged by doing so.Dont know what the hell is going on! 

TheOrangeGuy
I'm experienced level 2
I'm experienced level 2

Reviving an old post, but I believe it may benefit a lot of users.

Long-distance charges with a calling card.

Normally, when you buy a calling card, there is an "access number" on the back. Generally speaking, this number will be a local one (i.e. if you purchase it in the Montreal area, the access number will be based in Montreal). Some cards may offer different numbers and let you pick the best one for where you live.

When you dial the access number, you will then be asked to enter the international number you would like to reach. If we were to trace your call, it would go from your phone, to Fido, to the access number and then to the international number you're calling. You're not directly calling the international number; the calling card does the call and connect it to you. That call will be considered local as you dialed a local number. If you have airtime minutes in your plan, they will be deducted. If you have unlimited nights and weekends and call during that period, there will be no charge.

It's important to note that you **MUST NOT** press "Dial" or "Call" a second time after entering the international number: doing so will result in your first call (the access number) being put on hold and a second call to be made from your phone directly to the internation number you're calling. In that case, you'll be billed directly by Fido at the rates on the website (regular airtime + a per-minute charge that varies by country).

If the card is used properly, there is no reason you will be charged long-distance by Fido. The only time it may happen is if the card was not used properly. In these cases, the charges are legitimate.

In regards of incoming long-distance charges, as Paolo said, it does not matter where the person calling you is located: what is important is where YOU are located at that moment. For instance, I'm from Montreal and have a Montreal number. If I go to Toronto and receive a phone call, no matter where it comes from, I will be charged Canadian long-distance because I receive a call while I'm outside my local calling area (Montreal). Following the same example, if I am in Toronto and call a Toronto number, I will not be charged long-distance because I am physically there. Calling Montreal, though, will be charged even if I have a 514 number since I'm outside Montreal.

Hopefully this clarifies a bit!

Anonymous
Not applicable
Thats great news, I just heard of someone who was charged for LD using a calling card and it appears they were making this mistake too, when they were blaming it on Fido. Now that they are aware they were making this mistake they have not got billed on their fido any more, and are now aware how to dial using the calling card. its funny how phones have been around for over 100 years and people still make mistakes?

TommyElder23

Thank you for your answers !

I have contacted Fido customer services and talked to a representative. I was told that not all calling cards ( for some reasons) work with Fido cellphones ( Landlines just fine ) . I was told I should call the customer services number on my LD calling card and ask if they've had any issues with Fido Customers.I was told me that their card works just fine with fido cellphone users.

Looks like I'll have to wait for my next bill to see if the latter is true. Speechless

andrewtibs

Does Fido charge for incoming long distance (international) calls?

Anonymous
Not applicable
incoming calls are taken out of your bucket of minutes REGARDLESS of where they originate from. So if u live in Toronto, and receive a long distance call from China, its still the same rate as per your rate plan, or if you fall under the unlimited evenings, weekends, incoming, etc, it falls under there.

Try not to associate the location of the party calling you with any charges, this does not happen in Canada as far as I know, maybe other countries?

--
I am NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates.

RebaWeber
I get charged long distance from Fido for INCOMING calls all the time. 35 cents per minute.

Anonymous
Not applicable

The only way you are charged long distance, is if you are outside of your local calling area, that is actually called IRM, Incoming Roaming Call, but marketed as Long Distance. This is different as it reflects your Local Calling Area, and STILL has nothing to do with where the person calling you is located.

Hope that clears up things.

--

FidoErin
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi there TommyElder23,

Thanks for joining our forums!

It would be best if you contact Fido Live Chat through fido.ca and then go to the my account section to speak with a representative about long distance calling.

Cheers

tupput
I'm a contributor level 1
I'm a contributor level 1

Fido and Rogers don't support third party calling cards.  Any calls made with the calling card will be charged high long distance and roaming charges. 

Anonymous
Not applicable
a calling card will still deduct airtime from your bucket of minute. Not sure how they can charge you Long Diustance and roaming? your calling a local number to call the calling card just like the local number to a pizza shop down the street... ?

--
I am NOT a Fido employee, my comments are my own and do not necessarily represent the views of this website and its affiliates.