iPhone X users experiencing loss of network access

I'm a Participant Level 3 Kaar
I'm a Participant Level 3

iPhone X users experiencing loss of network access

iPhone X users experiencing intermittent or total loss of network access. PLEASE FIX IMMEDIATELY! I was at Apple today because the Fido tech I spoke with blamed Apple for the network access issues I've been having. Turns out, it was Fido all along, as I suspected.

Apple factory reset my phone (problem remained) and then replaced it entirely (problem remained). Apple tech told me they are seeing numerous Fido/Rogers customers with identical problem. 

Fido replaced SIM card twice in 24 hours which finally worked (as in, I got about 8 hours of access after the third SIM card on a brand new iPhone X before my phone started experiencing the same problem again). I'm posting on here because the Apple store staff said they were seeing lots of people with the same problem and ALL of then were with Fido or Rogers - no other carriers. Brand new phone - expensive plan. I just need it to actually work! 

Help, Fido. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 9

Re: iPhone X users experiencing loss of network access

Hey @Kaar,

Welcome to our Community!

Sorry to see you're experiencing network troubles, definitely not the type of experience we want you to have!

I'll need a bit more info to get to the bottom of this:

- Does the issue occur indoors, outdoors, or both?

- Does it happen everywhere or only in specific locations?

- Have you experienced the same issue with your previous phone before switching to the iPhone X?

- Have you had a chance to switch your SIM card in a different phone to see if the same thing happens or not?

Thanks in advance for letting us know.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 9
Highlighted

Hi FidoClaudia.

I feel I have provided the information that answers some of your questions already above. However, I will detail the information below, including info not originally included. Hopefully this will provide clarification.

To be perfectly clear: this is a ROGERS and FIDO problem being experienced by many people. The Apple Store staff reported an onslaught of ROGERS and FIDO customers who have the iPhone X and are experiencing the same problem. They further noted that they haven't seen a single person with any other carrier with this issue. These observations would imply that Rogers/Fido need to address thed network access issue being experienced by numerous iPhone X owners. I posted to bring this to the company's attention as it's critical (for me at least) to have functional phone service.

Your questions:

- Does the issue occur indoors, outdoors, or both?

Both. My phone turned into an iPod (could only use it on WiFi) for 24 hours until I did the things described in my post above. Now the outages are intermittent and still unrelated to location. 

- Does it happen everywhere or only in specific locations?

Everywhere. And, as I was trying to emphasize, it's happening to numerous cutomers of yours. Literally, the first question the Apple Store staff asked when I described the problem was: "Are you with Rogers or Fido?" They then went on to explain that they are getting piles of iPhone X users with the same problem (either total, like my issue, or intermittent, like my issue since taking the steps described in my post above). I am posting this as the issue is widespread and unacceptable. I live very close to downtown Vancouver, so I'm not out in the country with patchy service or anything. 

- Have you experienced the same issue with your previous phone before switching to the iPhone X?

As mentioned, this is evidently an iPhone X problem on the Rogers network. I have not experienced it prior to this.

- Have you had a chance to switch your SIM card in a different phone to see if the same thing happens or not?

As mentioned, Apple completely replaced my phone. So, the new phone is a different phone. The problem remained because it is a Fido/Rogers problem. I also brought my SIM cards to Fido where, upon the third SIM card, it worked for several hours. 

Of note: the explanation I was given by the Fido representative was as follows: He speculated that both SIM cards I had (the ones that came with the phone) may have had their barcodes/serial numbers entered manually and may have had a typo causing them not to work. That seemed like a nonsensical explanation given that I have been using them for nearly two months without incident. If there was an error in SIM card info that prevented me from using it, one would assume it would be an immediate effect and notsomething that's suddenly a problem after two months of use. As well, the SIM cards info is entered via scanner, making the "typo" explanation even less plausible. 

I understand you have to run through the usual questions. But, just please kindly pass this information along to your supervisors so that they can address whatever issues are causing iPhone X users to experience the inability to access the cellular network. I know new technology doesn't always roll out seamlessly - just notifying you of a bug that needs fixing. Thanks. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 9

Thanks so much for all the details and clarifications about your issue @Kaar.

In fact we were really wondering if it was possible for you to try the sim in a completely different phone model (besides the iPhone X) to see if the issue persist? So we can find out if the issue comes from an incompatibility between the device features and our network or specifically from your account. That would help!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 9

Hey @Kaar! I was just wondering if you had a chance to test out what @FidoGabrielle suggested?

I'm also sending you a PM so we can look into this in more detail and get to the bottom of things! See you there Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 9

Hi FidoNick. Thanks for your reply.

I'm not sure if you read this thread in its entirety, but my intention was to notify Fido of a confirmed problem with  Fido network access for certain iPhone model customers. Please kindly look into and address this for iPhone X users on Rogers/Fido.

I don't feel it's an appropriate step/solution (especially to a widespread problem that has been demonstrated to have nothing to do with my personal phone/SIM card) to ask me to approach strangers, determine if we have the same cellular service provider and different phone model, and then request to put my (possibly corrupted, according to you?) SIM card in their phone. Does this really sound like a reasonable step to you? What would you do if a stranger approached you on the street asking to put a random SIM card in your phone? 

All I'm saying, once again, is to please kindly notify your supervisors so they can look into this glitch so that your customers can receive accurate and expedient service when they report this particular problem. (I would think this would also help your employees feel empowered to help, rather than to give customers the runaround by sending them to Apple for a non-Apple problem.)

Respectfully, I am not going to canvas the public for somebody who is a Fido customer with a different model phone and is crazy enough to let a stranger put an unknown SIM card in their phone. It has already been established that the problem isn't with my phone/SIM card anyway so even if I did that, it would be irrelevant to the issue. As such, I will leave the above information with you to address. Thank you, once again, for your time and attention. Smiley

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 9

Hey @Kaar

Thanks for the update. 

In no way were we implying to ask a stranger to test your SIM, we were leaning towards friends or family. If it's not possible you can also pass by a Fido location to get some testing done, they'll be more than happy to help! 

If you can reply to the last PM we sent out, we'll be able to assist further with this. 

Thanks! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 9

Thanks. I went to Fido before I posted any of these messages. It's a problem with the network, not with my phone or SIM card. My apologies if I didn't manage to make that clear from previous messages. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 9

Hey @Kaar

Thank you for clarifying this. If you get a chance to get back to our PM we'll be able to take a closer look into this with you. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 6 in conversation