cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

text problem while roaming

patricia_martin
I'm a participant level 2

Whenever I travel to Ireland I always have problems texting within Ireland and home to Canada. What is the solution. I always take a roaming package and the only answer I get from Fido it is the carrier in Ireland not them what should I do change my Carrier??

7 REPLIES 7

karenintoronto
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hmmm that solution is not working with me. I have added the "+1" in front of the Toronto Canada number I am trying to text message (e.g. "+1-647-609....") and I keep getting a "Not Delivered" failure notice. Nobody at FIDO has been of any help. Tried restarting my phone, syncing my phone etc. Everything else on my iPhone X is working (iMessage, internet, international calls) just the regular text messages are not being sent with the data roaming on. I am in Malaysia right now trying to send text message to Toronto Canada number. My home base is Toronto. 

Hey @karenintoronto!

Let us know if you were able to send your text message successfully using the dialing pattern FidoCharles suggested?

It'd help out the Community!

Hey @karenintoronto

Welcome to the Community!

Thanks for all the info. Let's try another thing before going deeper. Smiley

If you try this way : 00 + 1 + City Code + Local Number

Do you get the same issue?

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hey @patricia_martin,

Sorry to learn you're having trouble with your texts while roaming! 

In addition to @KAPABLE-K's questions, would you be able let me know what phone model you're using? 

Also, the correct dialing pattern must be used when sending text messages: ""+" sign + Country Code + Area Code + Telephone Number.

If you were already using this pattern and it still didn't work, then I'd suggest trying to connect to another partner carrier over there to see if that makes a difference.

Is there a way for you to test that out, are you in Ireland at the moment?

Let me know Smiley  

patricia_martin
No but will be next week. Not sure what you mean by ""+" sign at the beginning of the number. Can you explain. I always put in the Canada country code when texting back to Canada but when I am in Ireland I am more concerned with texting within Ireland I would normally put the 011 353 and then the number . Appreciate you taking the time to answer me Pat

Hello Patricia_martin,

Welcome to the community!

When dialling international numbers, we must first dial the International dialling prefix (IDP), followed by the Country calling code, followed by the phone number.

The IDP is varies by country (see here). While in Canada, the IDP is 011. On the other hand, the IDP in Ireland is 00. So dialling an Irish number from Canada 011 353 xx xxxxxx. However, dialling the a Canadian number from Ireland would be 00 1 xxx xxx-xxxx.

Since the IDPs vary by country, the International dialling prefix can be replaced by the plus symbol, +. The dialling sequence for the above numbers would be +353 xx xxxxxx and +1 xxx xxx-xxxx, respectively.

Texting numbers would require the same format.

**edit**

@patricia_martin wrote:
...I am in Ireland I am more concerned with texting within Ireland I would normally put the 011 353 and then the number...

That dialling format would not work in Ireland since the 011 is the IDP to dial out of Canada. To be correct, it would have to be 00 353 from Ireland. More appropriately, however, it should be +353 and then the number... **

**edit** Additionally, I'm not sure how familiar you are with Irish area codes... Take for example, this Cork number: 021 xxx xxxx. From within Ireland, you would dial 021xxxxxxx. However, when dialling the same number from outside of the country, you drop the preceding zero. Therefore, dialling that number from Canada would be +35321xxxxxxx. It's the same for texting as well. You could text 021xxxxxxx from within Ireland...

When I used to live in Ireland, I found it far simpler to keep all of the numbers in my phone with the +353 or +1 format. That way, I did not have to worry where I was calling/texting from**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@patricia_martin Do you have problems just texting? Does making and receiving calls work good? If not it very well could be the carriers in Ireland is not using the same infrastructure as Fido so that would be the cause of your problem.