Unable to add additional line without fee

I’m a whiz HiQ
I’m a whiz

Unable to add additional line without fee

I have my primary mobile with Fido, but I am looking at porting in another line. Your website says no activation fee if I do it online, but there is no possible way to do so online. Apparently both your mobile and facebook support teams don't qualify as online so it seems I'm stuck. Kind of a weird thing to charge your customers $25 to give you more business when it says it should be free on the website.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 12

Re: Unable to add additional line without fee

Hi @HiQ & welcome to the Community!

You should be able to activate a new line through My Account. What happens when you try to do so?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 12
I’m a whiz HiQ
I’m a whiz

I don’t even see the option to add a new BYOP line. How should I be doing this?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 12
I’m the real deal
I’m the real deal

You have to log into your account, and click on MOBILE (on Fido banner up top) and then click "PLANS".  Click on the plan you like (be sure to select the bring your own phone plan) and then click "Get this plan".  Follow the steps on screen to add this plan to your account.  Since you signed in already, you should be able to activate this plan.

Note: you will need to have a new SIM card on hand or else Fido can probably send one to you.  If you are not home, be sure to ship it to an address where someone is availabe to receive the package.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 12
I’m a whiz HiQ
I’m a whiz

That all sounds great except when you click get this plan it pops up a window saying to “Contact Us” if you “Would like to add a line?” 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 12

Hey @HiQ

Sorry for the confusion there. At this time, it is not possible to add a new line to an existing account online. 

This can only be done through us whether in store or by ordering it. The $25 transaction fee would be applicable for that. 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 12
Highlighted
I’m a whiz HiQ
I’m a whiz

That makes no sense. So I could setup a new account and it'd be free activation? Any way to merge two accounts after the fact? What if my Wife sets up an account and then we want to put them both under one account in the future? Is that possible?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 12

It would not be possible to have two accounts under your own name. If your wife was to activate a line under her name online, she could indeed save the transaction fee. 

It's possible to merge two accounts after the line to transfer has been active for 60 days. 

Hope that helps! 

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 12
I’m a whiz HiQ
I’m a whiz

Okay so the only way to save the $25 fee is to have my wife sign up online with a new account... Wait 60 days... Then transfer her number to my account? What a smooth process Smiley Sad

Now... Any cost to transfer her number to my account after 60 days? How difficult is the process?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 12

Hey @HiQ!

There is no cost for the transfer, and the process is done via customer care and is quite quick Smiley Happy 

The choice of how you want to do this is yours though, keep in mind that if you add her as a new line to your account she can get 10% off on any in-market plan. This would not apply if she opens her own account.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 like
  • 5 in conversation