cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Telemarketing Calls

erinfitzpatrick
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I'm a new Fido customer and have to say I just had a pretty weird experience.

Got a call from 844-277-6920 on behalf of Fido. Wanted to confirm my account information, and then, after talking AT me for 10 minutes to try and upsell me stuff but not accepting my "no thank you" for an answer. This is not surprising or unusual. What happened afterwards struck me as odd -

After hanging up with the 844 number, not 30 minutes later, I received a call from a local number (613) for duct cleaning by a woman who sounded suspiciously similar to the one from Fido. I quickly ended the call, and after googling the number, yellow pages acknowledges it as a cell phone number under the Rogers Communication umbrella.

Has Fido already turned around and given my information to a sham company to try to swindle me out of more money? Or do the call centre employees just take any information they can get their hands on? Have been with a few different carriers and never experienced the forcefulness of their upsell, and subsequent curious call quite like this. Am I the only one? 

3 REPLIES 3

EFTC
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

I am always super careful with this kind of call.

The best way to answer is to tell the person you are not interested, ask the person to remove you from call list, and hang up.

Would Fido give away your personal information? It is highly unlikely as there are multiple policies in place. Would a Fido give away your personal information? They will do that only if they want to loose their jobs (In other words, highly unlikely). 

As many have said already, many of these phone calls are generated by computer dialing software.  Your phone number (along with many others) were randomly generated and called to see if anyone answers. 

Remember: 

1. Do not say "YES" to these phone calls. Callers can record you saying "Yes" and then use your voice recording to do fradulent activities.

2. Answer with vilgence.

3. When in doubt, tell the person on the other end politely to remove you from the survey and call list then hang up. 

4. Don't be afraid to report the number shown on the caller ID.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Erinfitzpatrick,

Welcome to the community!

erinfitzpatrick wrote:...

After hanging up with the 844 number, not 30 minutes later, I received a call from a local number (613) for duct cleaning by a woman who sounded suspiciously similar to the one from Fido. I quickly ended the call, and after googling the number, yellow pages acknowledges it as a cell phone number under the Rogers Communication umbrella... 

I suspect the two calls are not related. The first call would have been on behalf of Fido likely targeting you because you're a Fido customer. The second call, on the other hand, would have randomly generated your phone number. They also likely called using a spoofed number. That is, the call probably did not originate from the 613 number shown on your caller ID.

If the second caller was indeed from the 613 area code, then they were likely going through all of the possible numbers in the area code. It's not that difficult to do with computers these days.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoAmanda
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey erinfitzpatrick!

Welcome to Fido and welcome to the Community! We're happy to have you with us. Smiley

I assure you that we take the security of your information, as well as your privacy, very seriously. We do not sell your information. As per our privacy policy, we only share information with other Fido related companies, including Rogers companies, in order to offer our customers products and services that they may find attractive. If you would prefer to be removed from the marketing list, customer service would need to access your account to do so.