Fido blocked Live View service from Ring.com?

I’m a champ
I’m a champ

Fido blocked Live View service from Ring.com?

I have a video doorbell from Ring.com and it seems like my phone always have issues connected to Ring.com for live view. 

When I am on local Wifi everything works fine it does not work but when I am on Fido's LTE network.  I did an upload / download speed test on my phone and I am getting upwards of > 30 Mbps for upload and > 20 Mbps for download. 

I was wondering if ring.com services are blocked by Fido. Can anyone help?

**Edited to add tags and labels**

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 9

Re: Fido blocked Live View service from Ring.com?

Hey @EFTC,

I don't have any indication that we would be blocking this on our end.

@Community is anyone using this service with their Fido phone?

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 9
I’m a legend
I’m a legend

Hey @EFTC if I understand correctly your door cam works fine when you are connected to your local WiFi network is it the same local Internet your door cam is connected to? 

Can you view it outside your local network meaning from a different Internet connection? If you can't then you have an issue making connection to the cam from outside your network. 

I would check your router/modem firewall and see if it being blocked then if you know which port the door cam uses you can port forward that port to the internal IP for the cam.

I have cameras all around my home but not a Ring I use a Swann system and I setup a static IP to the system and then use a DDNS for my IP and forward the port to the IP to the system so I can connect to it from outside of the network.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 9
Highlighted
I’m devoted Kurt_Russell
I’m devoted

I'll just open by saying that I am unfamiliar with this service, but if you're specifically using an application to do live viewing, it is possible that you have background data deactivated for it, which makes it so you won't receive notifications if it is not in the foreground, deactivating background data can also sometimes cause issues when tabbing into the application from another app.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 9
I’m a champ
I’m a champ

To @Kapable-K

Doorbell cam works fine when both the phone and doorbell Cam are connected to the same local internet.

I am unable to view it if I use Fido LTE network, yet i can view it when I am using company or other Wifi internet.

The weird thing is that while the app say that It has trouble connecting to the doorbell cam when I am on Fido's LTE network, Live view was recorded and stored on the cloud so I can return to the app 5 minutes later and view it offline. I just can't seem to look at Live View when I am on Fido network. 

I wonder if it is a phone problem or an app problem as Fido mentioned that Ring.com is not blocked by Fido.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 9
I’m a legend
I’m a legend

@EFTC if it works on WiFi sounds like the app is working fine I could be wrong you can try contacting Ring and see what they say. 

Try disabling LTE on your phone and see if it will work with just the 3g connecting, I won't rule out Fido's LTE just as yet. I myself have been loosing faith in their service.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 9
MVP
MVP

Hello EFTC,

It sounds like others are also having a similar issue to yours (not necessarily with Fido). You might consider amending your APN with:

APN type - internet + mms + dun
APN protocol - IPv4/IPv6
APN roaming protocol - IPv4

It seems to have help some others.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 9
I’m a champ
I’m a champ

Thanks for the suggesiton. I read about it in the Rogers forum as well (http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Android/No-Video-with-Google-Hangouts-Video-Call-or-Live-Video-...)

How do I go about doing amending the settings above? It appeas that the settings are locked and it cannot be changed.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 9
MVP
MVP

Hello again,

If those setting are locked, have you tried to create a new APN (see here) with the additional settings?

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 5 in conversation