cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido data scam scheme

JasonParker
I'm a contributor level 1

Every few months (1-3 times a year) I supposedly go over my data limit of 6GB. 

It usually plays like this, one day all of a sudden I would go from my usual usage of 50-200MB/day to a 990MB in 1 day! 

First of all, I know I did not use that amount!

I would know, after all I usually listen to a radio or a podcast plus I monitor my usage on my iPhone religiously. There is simply no way, why would I ever use that much data plus I remember what I did on that particular day!

However, what is even more concerning is the way Fido deals with those situations. 

What always happens to me is, I supposedly go over the limit let's say on June 18, and the next day (June 19) I would receive an SMS notification that I used 100% of my data, followed (the same day) by another SMS telling me "I've exceeded the amount of data included in my plan by $50. For your protection...".

BTW - $50 for 500MB?!!

At that point, I would turn off data on my phone, yet it is always too late, considering those notifications are delayed by 12-24 hrs 

There is simply no way to win!

Fido refuses to setup their system that would allow automatic stop on data usage once I reach my data limit or at least to send SMS immediately once that happens.

Fido is claiming that there is no way to do it, yet somehow there IS a way to do it ONCE I go over $50 worth of data usage!! To top it off, they have the audacity to claim they are doing it for my protection!

You might say there is the option to call their customer service, but you know how frustrating it is. They wil lecture you about basic, common sense stuff of how to monitor your usage and not doing this and that. Of course they will not accept your explanation that that did not happen in the first place and that there is nothing they can do to change it, etc. 

So, because of Fido's lack of care or outright fraud I cannot use data on my phone for 1-2 weeks, I incur extra $50 charges and maybe if I spend an hour or more on the phone they will  give me some credit and a lecture. Lucky me!

Shame on you Fido!!

You know it and we know it, implementing those changes (allowing auto data stop and/or instant SMS notification) would be technically trivial nowadays, but I guess it is a good business for you to extort extra $50 for meagre 500MB!?

I have been with you since 1997, but now more and more often I'm asking myself - are they worth my loyalty? There must be something better?

Should I switch, are other companies better in this regard?

28 REPLIES 28

Tonino
I'm a participant level 1

This has been going on for years, I keep complaining but they do nothing about it. I have threatened to leave several times... I will cancell my account in the morning and go to another company (if anyone has any suggestions please let me know). After seeing these posts I'm glad that I'm not alone, but also mad that they are getting away with this from EVERYONE! They get at least an extra $10 out of me every month... Image how much EXTRA REVENUE they make off of all of us in a year! 

Hello @Tonino. Sorry to learn that you decided to stop your service with us. 

When it comes to the usage that was charged on your bill, we are always happy to review this with you. When you get a chance, you can find all the ways to reach us here.

N-line

I thought I was the only one but there are so many people getting scammed. 

Kkkoo

Wow, so im not the only one, i use data tracker app on my phone it says i have 1.45 gb left. When i check on fido online account it says i have .90 gb left. 

Hey @Kkkoo

You had a chance to reinstall your app to see if you get the same result?

beenliedtoo
I'm a participant level 2

Fido is known to run a shady opération. Ythey wont let add data. But they got no problem billing you for overages.lt time Canadains got awayfrom the big three there is over 100 other companie out there using the same lines.Better prices as well. 

Laurentiu

Hello,

I seem to be experiencing the same issue. Yesterday I had over 1gb of data left. I also have wireless at home and my phone is always connected to it when in, so there should not be any data loss experienced. However, this early morning, when reading the news, I received message after message from Fido informing me first that I have used 91% of my data, then immediately that I have used 100% of my data, and finally a “keep on while keeping on” ad message informing me of add-on options. It turns out that now I am 0.04gb over the limit. I have presently turned off cellular data on my telephone and do not plan to use it again until the issue is satisfactorily resolved, or if not, until after I switch to a different carrier.

Best regards,

Laurentiu Luca

Hey @Laurentiu!

We'd love to review things with you!

In terms of data usage, we only deduct from your bucket what is used from your phone on our network. 

Depending on what phone you have, you may be have the option in your settings to see what apps are using what amount of data. Most Android phones offer this Smiley

It's also a good idea to make sure that the option for the phone to switch to LTE data if WI-Fi is slow is turned off. On iPhones this is called "Wi-Fi Assist" and on Androids the name of the option can vary.

I do suggest you check that out, it can be one of the reasons your data was used up even though you were on a Wi-Fi network.

kludor

Regardless of data plan (500M to 6G to 1000G) we all should have the option to put a STOP when we rich our plan limit, and only be able to go over limit / overbilled with our explicit consent (in the form of text msg, email, or phonecall). Same as U do with addons, roaming, etc.... It is very easy to do it, and it would benefit everyone (less the data provider ;-).

If the carriers can't see it, maybe it is time to petition to CRTC.

IMHO

JasonParker
By the way, my frustration with Fido is not just the injustice of paying so much for so little ($50 for 500MB), but the frustration of being unable and helpless to prevent it from happening!

Hey JasonParker! 

We'd hate to see you go! Sad I assure you we truly care about you! 

We receive the data transmissions directly from your phone once it's over. This is why there can be delays between your usage and the notifications. It's not possible to notify you or block your usage during a transmission. 

When it comes to the $50 usage cap, it's possible that you actually go over that amount within a data transmission however, we must cap your over usage at $50. This means that we'll adjust any usage that would potentially have gone over that $50. 

For this reason there is no real time block or notification. We do our best to notify you as quickly as possible of the usage thresholds and over usage. It's very possible to use 900MB within a day while listening to podcasts. 

I'm unsure I understand how there has been any fraud on your account. All data billed is used on your device. For privacy reasons, we don't see the details of what used your data but we have the usage information sent from your device. 

If you'd like us to look into plan options to get you more data, let us know! We'll be more than happy to look into that with you. You can reach out to us here on Facebook or Twitter. 

Hope this helps! 

N-line

Ima head out too y'all be ez 35gb data turned into 16gb today on the first day of my cycle. Don't tell me that wifi assist bullcrap all of that is off. Has never happened in 2 years. Y'all be ez. 

We replied to your other message.

N-line

I called customer care and they said my situaton was strange. They were unbelivabley helpful as they added a few exrta giggities and had a troubleshoot which ultimately solved my frustration. Thank you dear 

I'm happy to hear your situation was resolved @N-line

JasonParker
Here we go again. The same caned response, blaming the customer, etc.

First of all, there are customers who find it too complicated to monitor their usage. Try to explain that concept to an 80+ years old person.
However and most of all, if you are able to stop people from going over $50 in data usage then by the same logic you should be able to do for $0, for $10 etc.

Hello JasonParker,

Welcome to the community!

If you have a plan which does not have Data Tracker, then you will not receive warnings about going over your allotted data limit. 

If you do have a plan which is compatible with Data Tracker, you should note that the text message alert is sent only after the data session has finished. This means you will not receive any notification while you are still connected to the internet. If you exceed any of those limits in a single session, the notifications will still be sent only after you finish the session.

Data Tracker a feature of some of the newer plans -- same as Spotify, Fido Roam, and Data Top-ups are features only available to some newer plans. I believe the notifications were introduced to allow customers to purchase Data Top-ups before their usual allotments ran out. Since those of us with older plans cannot avail of Data Top-ups, the only text message we will receive is once we have reached the maximum in overage charges ($50 or $100 in roaming data overage charges) -- with the option to continue using overage data (as per the Wireless Code).

I understand you monitor your data regularly. Have you verified that your device does not have Wifi-assist enabled? Have you verified you do not have any automatic back-ups or updates enabled? If those settings are enabled, they can use a lot of data without your knowledge.

If you do not currently have, and would like to receive the Data Tracker notifications, you can change your plan to a current plan which includes the service.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

saradent

I am having the same usage issue now with FIDO for approximately the past three months. Every month now I am told I am over my data usage. After the first month, I began using a data tracker. For the past two months I am well under my 3GB amount but I am being sent texts to top up. I think that there is a problem with FIDO. It is either a technical glitch in their data tracking system, or they are actually scamming customers for data usage. FIDO - which is it? I spoke with a customer service person who really gave me the run @ last week and was given a case number, but no one from FIDO followed-up. If this continues into the next month or two I will change companies.

beenliedtoo

They are scamming us.

Hey @beenliedtoo,

Can you tell me what you mean by not letting you add data