cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

sim network unlock pin

PK002
I'm a participant level 2

Hi I moved over from a previous carrier for about 8 months now, I was using own phone with the Fido sim.

All was working fine up until a month ago, now it is suddenly asking me for a network unlock pin. I bought a new sim, Fido customer service activated it and it is still not unlocked. Please I am paying for my service and I can't even use my phone. Its been over a month I payed for and cannot use it. 

Please and thank you.

8 REPLIES 8

FidoAlyson
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Welcome to the Community @PK002

We won't be able to unlock a phone that's not ours. You'll have to reach out to the previous carrier.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Pk002,

Welcome to the community!

That's strange, where did you get your phone? Was it unlocked previously? Did the phone update and reset? If the phone is asking for the Network Unlock PIN, that suggests that the phone is now locked to its original provider. You would need to obtain the unlock code from the original provider as Fido would not be unable to unlock a phone/device they did not provide. Alternatively, there are some third party companies who provide unlocking services.

If you purchased your phone from a Canadian provider, as of December 1st, 2017, they will have to unlock it for you without charge. However, waiting until December may not be feasible for your needs.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

PK002

The phone was unlocked before I moved over to Fido, but if there is a way that is was somehow locked again is it possible that I can get it unlocked by Fido and don't have to worry about this anymore?

Hello @PK002,

Unfortunately Fido will not be able to unlock the phone for you because the phone is not from them they have no way to get you the unlock code.

You will need to contact the previous provider or use a third party unlocking service.

It is odd that the phone was working and then suddenly locked, what is the make and model of the phone and how was it unlocked?

sebsoub

Same problem...out of nowhere the phone asks for a network unlock (16 digits) pin and does not recognize the SIM.  That phone was always with Fido.  Phone currently unusable.  Model  is a ZTE Z222 flip phone.

Hey @sebsoub,

Was your ZTE Z222 purchased from Fido directly? Or was it purchased elsewhere and you have been using it on our network since ?

Can you also tell us the exact message you current see on your phone's screen?

sebsoub

Was your ZTE Z222 purchased from Fido directly?  YES, brand new at the time... about 8 years ago.

Can you also tell us the exact message you current see on your phone's screen? "No sim detected"

Option to unlock or SOS shows up 

Transferred SIM card over to a different phone and works fine; back in the Z222, still fails.

Cheers, 

Hello Sebsoub,

Hmm, are you able to try a different Fido SIM (or even a different SIM) in that phone? Generally, if a phone is network locked, it would state that it's locked and require an unlock code. Since the device is from Fido, it shouldn't require to be unlocked.

Even so, locked phones don't usually say No SIM detected. That error message would suggest a different issue. Are you able to check whether a better placement of the SIM in that phone is possible? Also, depending on the style of the SIM holder, some of the contacts might be slightly bent preventing adequate contact to the SIM.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers