How do I connect to extended coverage?

Highlighted
I’m devoted Arc3
I’m devoted

How do I connect to extended coverage?

Hi,

90% of the time I'm in the Fido coverage area and when I'm not I tether off older phone on Rogers which may have a tad better reception. Worse case I rely on my son Koodo/Telus.  And this the reason I keep two different providers. Never seen EC or EXT on my phone - iPhone 7+. Right now I'm in 1 bar 3G area and my son can't hear me, roaming is ON. How do I get to use EXT/EC or force. I have to walk 100ft to gain signal to send a message. 

Thank you,

***Edited to add labels + title clarity***

Accepted Solution

Re: How do I connect to extended coverage?

Thank you @FidoFaiza for clarifying it.

That would be a blast though to be able to force to go to the other networks, 1-3% of the total phone uptime on the network.

I will check ExtC on August 22, like I mentioned in reply to @FidoNick.

Thanks again
View solution in context
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 1 of 12
I’m a legend
I’m a legend

Hello @Arc3,

Welcome to the community!

Fido Home Phone, prepaid and zone-based plans (e.g., Fido Zone and CityFido) are not eligible for Extended Coverage. 

Is your plan any of the these? That could be the reason you are not able to get on the extended network if you do have a plan that is eligible to access the extended network I would call customer service and have them check to see if your account is blocked.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 2 of 12
I’m devoted Arc3
I’m devoted

Thank you for your quick reply.

I am eligible according to CR. As she was telling me about it and that my monthly plan would let me use ExtCoverage and I was telling her that I'm about to walk into bad area, I lost her.
So for obvious reasons I couldn't find out anything else from her. She called me again but it went directly to VM. Again -1 bar in 3G @3 bars the other party can hear me, but 1-2 questionable. New iPhone I can't switch to read in db not like iPhone 6s.
The other week I knew I was going to the boonies so I just used old Nokia N95-4 I still have. Beats every new phone hands down in reception area- have S8+,Lumia950&iphones.
I won't have a chance to call CR for another day or two.
I'm getting text when I'm going to USA. As recently as a week ago, I'm using my plan in USA. So my roam is always on.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 3 of 12
I’m a legend
I’m a legend

@Arc3 try disabling LTE and see if it help your reception.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 4 of 12

Hey @Arc3!

Excellent question! Smiley Happy

Extended coverage should kick in automatically as long as your plan is compatible. 

Can you confirm where you're located? It's possible that area is not covered by extended coverage.

You find all the areas covered right here.

If it is covered, let us know and we'll go from there!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 5 of 12
I’m devoted Arc3
I’m devoted

Thank you @KAPABLE-K.
I will try that next time, 4G should be enough to browse basics I hope( bad word-I mean 'I hope')
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 6 of 12
I’m devoted Arc3
I’m devoted

Hi @FidoNick,

Would it matter when I'm in the coverage area but inside the spot within coverage area where everyone but Fido/Rogers/the likes have reception. What I mean is it is not like I'm in the boonies- I am in the city limits to say the least - Newmarket ON it is, on main drag-Davis Drive.
Any trick to force my phone to use EXTC.?
Didn't know about it till today, and now I want to know how can I trick iphone7+ and or S8+ or Lumia 950XL. Allunlocked.

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 7 of 12

Hey @Arc3,

New Market is well within our coverage area. If I understand correctly, you are using an unlocked phone, correct? How does it work in a Fido locked phone?

Let me know!

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 8 of 12
I’m devoted Arc3
I’m devoted

Hi @FidoFaiza,
I'm using unlocked phone( mentioned in earlier post)
You ask: "How does it work in a Fido locked phone?" - I don't know , I don't have locked phones.
I'm a bit at a loss here.
My original question - how can I get extended coverage when I have poor to no signal reception while in coverage area, it's like being in a dead zone within coverage area. Say in the building, yet I know belle and Telus has much better reception there. Is it possible to use ExtC and if so, then how can I do it.
Flag this to a Moderator
Message 9 of 12

I get it, @Arc3. Thanks for clarifying. 

Extended coverage is not an option where Fido service is available. Lack of service inside a building is something that we cannot guarantee. Sorry Smiley Sad

Flag this to a Moderator
Message 10 of 12
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation