Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Data Overage charges

abayram
I'm a participant level 1

Hi

I was away on the weekend and my Google photos seem to have used all my data and even went over my data. I got a message from Fido saying that I have 50$ in overage charges. I have never went over in my data before. I was able to only need 300MB a month and was ok with it. after Fido gave me a bonus 1GB and I upgraded my plan to unlimited I got another 1GB. It looks like my background google photos and videos have been backed up and screwed all my data and now I have to probably pay 50$ extra or more for going over data. It is only the 4th day on my billing cycle, I turned off my data and I called Fido and they suggested I turn it off and fix my settings. I was hoping I can get to have some of the 50$ taken away somehow. Is this possible? I am now thinking to get rid of all my data because I can not have these charges reoccur.

Please help

3 REPLIES 3

Alloush
Hi;
I had gone over my data limits and when I called customer service they advised that you may call them when you reach close to your free data limit and ask them to suspend the data service till it gets reset and then call again to resume the service. This way your phone will not be able to use the mobile data even if it is ON.

Hey @Alloush

This is an unusual recommendation as we would usually only be able to block the data services if you've reached $50 of data over usage on your mobile phone. At which point you would then have the choice to restore the data by clicking on a link to accept the charges. 

There are several other ways to avoid data overages however! Data top-ups are a great way to add a little extra data for the months you need it. You can check out more details on this here. Smiley 

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @abayram,

Welcome to the community!

It sucks that you went over your data limit because your photos was backed up automatically because the overage charges was a legitimate charge I don't think there is anything that can be done about it at this point. 

If Fido wants to help you out or not it's totally up to them. 

I suspect you are using an Android phone those are more easy to set a data limit on the phone itself.

First I would change the settings in Google photos to only backup your pictures on WiFi only. 

Second you can set a data limit on the phone itself so when it hits that limit it will stop using your Data you can get more info here.

I have 2gb data on my plan so I set my warning at 1.5gb and my limit at 1.8gb I always set it lower than my plan.