cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Network coverage in building

kris2k
I'm a contributor level 1

What does it take to have viable network coverage in a large building complex?

I just moved into a new building and coverage is already negligible by the windows, and pretty much inexistent when I head towards the elevator or even the sub level parking.

I'm quite aware that there is no magic solution for signal to go through concrete so I would like to know what must I propose to my syndicate to solve the indoor coverage gaps? 

4 REPLIES 4

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Kris2k

It's a common misconception that any of the mobile providers will suit everyone, everywhere. Unfortunately, that is not always the case. The nature of mobile phones is that they are dependent on cellular signals reaching the phones. Many factors can affect those signals from reaching the phones-- including proximity to cellular towers and interference caused by obstructions between the cellular and the device (see here). That is why no mobile provider will be able guarantee their service.  In addition to those factors, if you live on the upper levels of a high rise building, you're also less likely to receive signal because they are not usually directed upwards.

From experience, residential building complexes are not usually willing (nor required) to ensure adequate wireless network service. That said, you might consider enquiring with your building management or condo board. However, they will usually encourage you to hook-up a wired home telephone service.

If you have some signal by the windows, you might consider purchasing a signal booster for your unit. Alternatively, as noted above, you might be able to avail of Wifi-calling.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @kris2k!

What's the model of the phone you're using? When I was having this issue, I personnally turned off LTE and would connect to 3G or 2G as the signal strength was much better.

Have you tried this?

kris2k

I have an iPhone7, and already tried that without much success 😞

Where does the responsibility boundary define itself between building owners and carrier operators to ensure effective network coverage?

Hey @kris2k,

Thanks for trying that out!

Reception in general may be affected by multiple factors, such as system availability and capacity, equipment, signal strength, topography and building materials, therefore as much as we'd love to, there's no way for us to guarantee coverage indoors. 

As for your question, we are not liable for the availability of indoor coverage. For more information, you can see our Terms and Conditions (under point #9, section c, iv).

However, if you have WiFi services at your location, I would definitely recommend to try using WiFi Calling. You can find out more about the service here.

Hope this helps Smiley