I’m a connoisseur

"You can get up to $500 off a new phone" - Misleading?

[ Edited ]

Can someone explain to me why this advertising is not misleading?

Here is the ad (extra emphasis mine):

fido plan type.JPG

If you buy the Google Pixel on a Plus15 plan type with a 3GB plan, the totals are:

one time fee: 499.00

monthly fee: 80.00

24 month contribution: 499 + (80x24) = 2419.00

If you buy the Google Pixel on a no term plan type with a 3GB plan, the totals are:

one time fee: 899.00

monthly fee: 65.00

24 month contribution: 899 + (65x24) = 2459.00

If you buy the Google Pixel from Google, and buy a BYOP 3GB plan, the totals are:

one time fee: 899.00

monthly fee: 65.00

24 month contribution: 499 + (65x24) = 2459.00

I want to click the 'buy button'. Can someone help me find this 500 savings they are advertising ?

** Edited to add labels **

Message 1 of 6 (239 Views)
I’m a connoisseur

Re: "You can get up to $500 off a new phone" - Misleading?

I'm not quite sure that this can be construed as misleading. I beleive it is made pretty clear that you are paying more for the plan itself, so you can save up to 500$, but it's on the upfront price of the phone. You're making a choice, an exchange - you pay less for the phone itself, but you pay more for the plan. 

(Your exposé actually highlights the fact that in this particular circumstance, you end up paying less for plan+phone than otherwise, when on a plus15)

Paint.png

Sorry, I only have mspaint.

Message 2 of 6 (232 Views)
Highlighted
I’m a legend

@JohnFH the key word is "up to $500" if you take plus $25 you will pay $399 upfront for the phone and that's the $500 savings.

You are choosing the plus $15 that's why you are only saving $400 and not $500 upfront, its not misleading at all.

Message 3 of 6 (205 Views)
I’m a connoisseur

[ Edited ]

Hi Kurt, @Kurt_Russell

I appreciate the response. I'm no expert, having bought only one smart phone, but while shopping for a new one, it seems almost all plans enable the customer to defer part of the phone cost while adding a payment amount to the bill for the lifetime of the contract. I agree it's not hidden and written very clearly as depicted below:Untitled-1.jpgI have to point out that at best it's a deferment cost and I appreciate that the phone companies provide this option but you're not saving 500 off a new phone, you're effectively taking out a loan for 500 dollars and paying back on your bill. You may call it semantics but I call it misleading, a fact I'm sure not missed by the marketers.

They are very clear not to say 'save 500'  but do say 'get ...500 off'. I'm not trying to start a debate, I was convinced I was saving 500 based on their text until I did the math and I just wanted to point it out to others as I found it misleading.

Message 4 of 6 (204 Views)
I’m a connoisseur

[ Edited ]

@KAPABLE-K

The dollar amount is not the issue.It's the notion of saving , a word you used yourself. You're not saving any money. You're deferring payment. You've been mislead as well, and that's my concern with their marketing.

Message 5 of 6 (202 Views)
I’m a legend

@JohnFH I understand what you are getting at now, because the payment is deferred over the life of the plan its not a savings or a dollar amount off. 

Back in the days the cost of the phone was built into the plan so you were actually paying the cost of the phone through the term. Now carriers made it a bit more transparent and give the option of how much you want to pay over the term on the plan for the phone.

Message 6 of 6 (191 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 3 in conversation