Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming- how prevent incoming texts?

grahamcu
I'm a contributor level 1

Hi,

I will be travelling to the UK for a week shortly. I want to use roaming, and pay the $10 daily roaming fee, just on particular days i.e. not every day I am there.

1) I know how to turn off roaming data to prevent roaming charges there but how do I prevent an incomg text from triggering a $10 daily fee?

2) Also, if someone calls the phone but I don't answer the call am I correct that this will NOT trigger the daily $10 roaming fee?

I know I could just turn the phone off, but I want to leave it on just in case home calls with an emergency. In such a case I would answer it and trigger the daily fee.

Thanks,

Graham 

**Edited to add labels

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Grahamcu,

Welcome to the community!

1) Unfortunately, there is no way to prevent incoming texts. As such, all incoming texts (SMS) are free of charge and will not trigger the $10 daily fee. Note, however, that the data within any MMS (incoming or outgoing) will trigger the fee.

2) If someone calls the phone and you do not answer (let the phone ring through), the call will get forwarded to your voicemail via the Fido networks (ie your phone is unavailable) and will not trigger the fee

However, if you decline or reject the call, the call will get forwarded to your voicemail via the UK networks and therefore will likely trigger the fee.

This post might provide some additional information regarding Fido Roam and long-distance calling.

Have a great trip and hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

grahamcu

Great information Cawtau; very much appreciated.

Cheers,

Graham