Highlighted
I’m an amateur

Roaming

[ Edited ]

I have a Smart Loyalty Plan and I get unlimited text/call Canada wide. I am located in Toronto, Ontario and planning to go to Ottawa. If I text/call from Ottawa, would I be in roaming since the city would change even though it is still Ontario?

***Edited to add Tags***

Accepted Solution

Re: Roaming

Hello Ev_mo,

Welcome to the community!

In the most general of terms, roaming simply refers to accessing the network for services while outside of the geographical coverage area of your home area.

Outside of your home area can either refer to outside of your local calling area (LCA) or outside of your home network (Fido/Rogers).

In your case, it will refer to outside your LCA. The significance of this type of roaming is whether calls will be deemed local or long-distance (LD). It's helpful to differentiate between incoming and outgoing calls.

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number (ie Toronto). It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call (ie Ottawa), and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you're standing.

Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD. Making calls while roaming can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

That said, if your plan has unlimited Canada-wide calling, then the LD calls within Canada would be included in your plan.

With regards to sending and receiving SMS/MMS, they are treated the same from anywhere in Canada.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

View solution in context
Message 1 of 2 (251 Views)
MVP

Re: Roaming

Hello Ev_mo,

Welcome to the community!

In the most general of terms, roaming simply refers to accessing the network for services while outside of the geographical coverage area of your home area.

Outside of your home area can either refer to outside of your local calling area (LCA) or outside of your home network (Fido/Rogers).

In your case, it will refer to outside your LCA. The significance of this type of roaming is whether calls will be deemed local or long-distance (LD). It's helpful to differentiate between incoming and outgoing calls.

Your incoming LCA is based on the geographical location that is associated with your number (ie Toronto). It has nothing to do with your own physical location at the time you receive a call. On the other hand, your outgoing LCA is determined entirely by your physical location at the time of a call (ie Ottawa), and has no ties to any specific geographical location, other than the one in which you're standing.

Receiving calls while outside of your incoming LCA is considered LD. Making calls while roaming can either be local or LD, depending on whether the call destinations are within or outside of your outgoing LCA.

That said, if your plan has unlimited Canada-wide calling, then the LD calls within Canada would be included in your plan.

With regards to sending and receiving SMS/MMS, they are treated the same from anywhere in Canada.

Hope this helps Smiley Happy

Cheers

Message 2 of 2 (242 Views)
Discussion Stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation