cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

no upgrade before 30 days even if your phone was stolen

abouc1088
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

I am traveling to the US for two months.

My phone was stolen in South Carolina 2 days ago so I blocked my number online just to be on the safe side.

I contacted Fido in order to resume service on my phone.  Given I have no phone, I thought it would be a good opportunity to buy a iphone 6 plus with Fido on an affordable plan.  But they will not change the plan before 30 days from the initial date of the previous plan.

They will send me a new sim card but at my home address not my current address in the States.  I will have someone forward it to me here.

So, instead of buying my new phone with Fido in Canada, which would be good for Fido and the local economhy, I will buy it here in the States.  If I am lucky, I will have access to the Fido service that I pay in a week or two.

***Edited to add labels***

2 REPLIES 2

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello Abouc1088,

Welcome to the community!

Sorry to hear your phone got stolen Sad

It sounds like you will be able to purchase your phone from Fido even though someone will have to forward it to you from your address in Canada.

However, if you do decide to purchase your phone from the US, there are a couple of things you will need to consider. Firstly, to use the Fido SIM, it will need to be unlocked. Secondly, you'll need to verify the phone has the Fido/Rogers' compatible bands/frequencies for when you return to Canada. Most mobile phone manufacturers have adopted a single Canadian version of their phone with each of the mobile service providers customising the software.

On the other hand, most of the mobile service providers in the US still have their own (often unique) versions of each phone model. Some of the differences may include slight variations in hardware, or more relevant here, differing bands and frequencies. You can verify the compatible bands/frequencies here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoCatherine
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi there @abouc1088

Sorry to read that your phone was stolen; that's never fun...

You did the right thing in having the line blocked! Always best to play it safe Smiley

If you need a new Fido phone, we can totally help with that, and we'd be happy too!

Once we place the phone order, we can also go ahead & change your plan today!

No need to await your next billing date in that case Smiley 

We can only ship a Fido phone (or SIM card) to a Canadian address though. 

I'll send you a PM so we can discuss this further!