cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions about changing from Postpaid to Prepaid

mm15
I'm a contributor level 1

I am considering changing from Postpaid to Prepaid but I have a few questions....

1) Can this be done at a Fido store or do I have to phone in? 

2) How exactly is the $15 migration fee charged? Does it appear on my final Postpaid bill? 

3) If I go with the basic by the minute 40cents/min plan and add the $10 Unlimited Text Messaging, and put $100 voucher on the account and also set up auto top-up for monthly fees, would it take out of the $100 or would it charge the credit card the $10 and ignore the fact existing balance can pay for it?

4) Am I able to add/remove add-ons, and change the Prepaid plan I am on from Fido.ca? Right now as Postpaid I cannot change my plan or features, I have to call in. Are the self-serve options more readily available on Prepaid? I assume you need people to call in for Postpaid because of potential contract issues and so you can explain the new monthly bill and any prorated billing, which would reduce confused customers down the road.

5) If you have the basic 'By the minute plan' and add $10 Unlimted Text, the monthly occuring fee would be $10.75+tax, correct? Then I'd have unlimited sent/received text and $0.40 per minute for talking? $10 for the Add-on and $0.75 for the 911 emergency access fee? What happens if the month for the add-on ends with say $8 left on the balance? Would it just default to $0.30 per sent text message? Would it automatically renew the $10/month text if I brought the balance up enough to pay for the add-on or would I need to manually tell the system to renew the add-on once I have enough existing balance to renew it? 

6) Would I keep my phone number after the switch from Postpaid to Prepaid?

*Added label

8 REPLIES 8

FidoStephen
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hey @mm15!

Here are the answers you're looking for Smiley

1) A migration cannot be done in store. We can help you with it here in the Community, by sending us a message on Facebook/Twitter, by Live Chat or by calling customer service.

2) The migration fee ($10) would be applied to your next postpaid bill.

3) $10 + tax will be charged to the credit card each month if you select the Auto Refill option. If you select the Low Balance option, then the $10 + tax will be deducted from the $100 voucher until there is no more balance. 

4) You can update your credit card info, address, account PIN and email address on Fido.ca, but to change the plan, you'd need to use our IVR by dialing *46 from the Fido phone.

5) Yes, it would be unlimited sent/received texts and $0.40 per minute for calls. If the balance is insufficient to pay for the add-on, then you will automatically fall onto the pay per use rate for texts. Upon refilling the account, the add-on will not be automatically renewed since it would be deducted on the same day each month (it follows a cycle).

6) Yes, you would keep the same phone number with the new prepaid account Smiley

Hope this helps!

mm15

Just some more quick questions regarding the process...

1) Since the add-on is deducted on a cycle, what would be the best way to handle the migration? Switch to the By the Minute Plan, then add a voucher and then add the $10 texting add-on once there are funds on the account? If you didn't have funds and the add-on becomes inactive, could you theoretically remove it and then add it back on immediately once you have the funds to change it's renewal date? (Granted it's still an offered add-on) On that note, if the add-on was ever discontinued, would I keep it as long as I never removed it?

2) Would the prepaid account carry over to my already existing 'My Account' username/password automatically? 

If I wanted to migrate could do it here on the forums via PM?

Thanks for the help, greatly appreciated. 

FidoMaria
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @mm15!

1) That would be the way to go about the migration and adding the features you want. If the add-on becomes inactive after 30 days because you didn't have funds, we'll be able to reactivate it for you once there are funds, or the add-on can be removed and added back as well. If the add-on were to be discontinued, as long as you still have it in your account, you get to keep it.

2) Since the prepaid account number would be different from the postpaid one, you'll need to register for a new Fido.ca account.

Finally, we can definitely help you out here for the migration. You can also reach out to us on Facebook or Twitter.

Hope this helps. Smiley

mm15

If I want to change to Prepaid, on the forums how would I get started? Smiley

@mm15 A moderator here can help you get started or you can message them on Facebook or Twitter.

Hi there @mm15

We can help with that by Private Message (PM).

I'll send you a PM here so we can go over everything together 😃

kg19
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi, I also wanna switch from postpaid to prepaid service. Would you help me too, please?

Hello Kg19,

Welcome to the community!

You should note the information in this thread might not be completely up-to date.  Firstly, these forums are community-driven and no longer intended as a venue for customer services. If you would like to migrate your services to pre-paid, you would need to contact customer service. In addition, they can also be contacted via Live Chat, Facebook, or Twitter. Those methods can be accessed via the contact page posted above.

It should also be noted that Fido no longer has a By the Minute or By the Day pre-paid offering. Their current offerings are Monthly, Semi-Annually, or Annually (see here). You can find additional information regarding pre-paid service here.

Hope this helps 😀

Cheers