cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internet availability in Golden Horseshoe?

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

I'm amazed Fidos home internet service isn't available in St.Catharines. I mean the Golden Horseshoe is the most populated region in Canada so how could we be left out of the service area?  Is FIdo planning on expanding the coverage area or is this unlikely?

TIA

Mike

** Edited to add labels **

10 REPLIES 10

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello,

Just to clarify for any others reading this thread, the two main cable providers in the Golden Horseshoe are Cogeco and Rogers. So yes, Fido Home Internet is available in the Golden Horseshoe but likely only in the Rogers serviced areas of the region.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Revisiting an old topic, but I need more clarification please and thanks...

I live in Hamilton, ON and am currently with Cogeco for my home internet. I can easily sign up with competitors Bell or Rogers (as well as TekSavvy, etc). What exactly is preventing Fido from being available in area? If Rogers internet is available at my address, why isn't Fido home internet?

Seeing as Cogeco just raised their prices, I am really interested in getting Fido internet. Thanks in advance! Smiley

Hello again Nick67,

Have you moved? If I remember correctly, you said you lived in Dundas. Are you sure Rogers internet is available at your address? I just tried to enter some random Dundas postal codes (L9H #x#) and all of the ones I tried say We're Sorry! Rogers Internet is not available at L9H #x#.

Admittedly, I haven't tried all of the postal codes for Dundas... **edit** However, as far as I am aware, the territories are mutually exclusive**

As for Bell and TekSavvy: Bell provides their service using DSL (ie doesn't use cable) so it wouldn't be an issue with Cogeco. While TekSavvy does offer cable internet, on which network they piggyback on depends on your location. Chances are, at your location, TekSavvy is offering services using Cogeco's network. In Rogers operated territories, TekSavvy will offer services using Rogers' network. You'll note that TekSavvy's cable internet offerings differ depending on which territory you're located in.

To be sure, you'll note on another independent provider, NetFox's cable internet page, the first thing to choose is the 'C' company or the 'R' company, corresponding to the provider servicing your area.

**edit** As noted above, Fido is not an independent internet provider like Start.ca, or TekSavvy, or NetFox, etc. They are a subsidiary of Rogers. I am rather doubtful that Cogeco would allow Rogers' subsidiary to operate in their territory**

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Thanks very much for your reply Cawtau. You are correct; I don't know what postal code I used yesterday, but when I tried my Dundas postal code today, Rogers isn't offered in my area. Appreciate the feedback, I'll have to consider my other options for home internet.

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello again,

As noted in you previous post here, I do not think St Catherines is within Rogers Cable's territories. To be sure, Rogers is not listed as an internet service provider for the area on the CRTC's Service Providers Near Me. I think it's highly unlikely that Cogeco would allow Fido to provide services in their territory.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

Proac
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1
Explain to me then how companies like start.ca can piggyback on Cogeco lines and offer internet services locally? I love the lack of competition that keeps the prices for all mobile services artificially high.

Hello again,

I didn't say Cogeco wouldn't let any company use their lines. Start.ca is an independent company and uses Bell, Rogers and Cogeco in Ontario.

On the other hand, Fido is a subsidiary of Rogers.

Cheers

nick67
I'm qualified level 3
I'm qualified level 3

Any info about getting Fido home internet in Hamilton, ON (more specifically Dundas)? According to that CRTC link, Rogers internet is available in Hamilton. I would love to ditch Cogeco and subscribe to Fido instead.

Hello Nick67,

There are three main cable providers in Hamilton: Source Cable, Rogers, and Cogeco. So yes, Rogers does service Hamilton. However, each provider supplies to specific parts of the city. If you're currently with Cogeco, then you would be in Cogeco's territory **edit**Includes: Hamilton North, Westdale, Dundas, Flamborough, Ancaster, Stoney Creek Mountain (see here)**

I think it's rather unlikely that Fido would provide internet outside of Rogers' territory.

That said, you can check whether Fido internet is available at your location here.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

FidoFaiza

Hi @Proac,

Thanks for your interest. It's too bad that the home internet is not offered in your area. I will be sure to pass your feedback along.

Thanks!