Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Extending the range of home internet wifi router

JoshRN
I'm a participant level 2

Hello,

I want to you if there is a way to turn on wifi extending in teh fido router itself.  I typically use two apple routers but one has recently broken and so i am now using the fido router as a wifi.  When I try to extend the range with the second other apple product I get a message that I cannot extend this wifi signal.  Normally you have to turn on wifi extending but I cannot find any documentation to support this.

thanks

** Edited to add labels **

8 REPLIES 8

ZIG

Does FIDO offer range extenders?  I have no wifi spots in my home?

Hello @ZIG,

No they do not. WiFi range extenders can bought from various retails like BestBuy, Amazon or any computer store.

ZIG

Thanks for taking the time to respond.  I just ordered a range extender from Costco.ca.

Murdia
I'm a participant level 1
I'm a participant level 1

Hi,

can someone pls suggest if any extenders will work or need some specifications. You can also suggest any specific model and brand that has proven to work fine.

NaliniR
I'm qualified level 1
I'm qualified level 1

Hi @Murdia,

Welcome to the Fido community!

Any WiFi range extender should work, you can also look into the mesh systems. I personally do not use any because our place is small. 

A lot of companies make extenders and mesh system you will have to do some research to see what will work for you and the price range. 

Brands like ASUS and D-Link have been in the network game forever so I would recommend those to brands. Google offers a mesh system that is pretty easy to set up but it is a bit pricy for my liking.

FidoMegan
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hi @JoshRN

Welcome to the Community! 

Your Fido modem generates two Wi-Fi networks (or bands): 2.4GHz and 5GHz. By default both networks will share the same name but the 5GHz network will have 5G added to the end. 

When you check for available Wi-Fi networks on your device, try connecting to the 5GHz network if it appears. It may not be supported by older devices. 

The 2.4GHz band offers greater range but slower speeds which is ideal for browsing. The 5GHz band offers faster speeds great for HD video streaming, but at closer range to the modem. This band is less commonly used by electronic devices so it also offers the advantage of less signal interference. 

Hope that helps! Smiley 

JoshRN

Hello,

Thanks but to be honest that did not even answer the questiomn I had posted.  I understand about the different frequencies, I want to know about extending the signal with the use of a repeater or a router in bridge mode.

thanks

FidoNick
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Hey @JoshRN!

On our end, the router can be placed in bridge mode for you to use your own router, thus extending the range (as you were doing with your 2 Apple devices).

Although we do offer the option to put the router in bridge mode so you can use your own devices, we cannot provided further support on extending the signal using those devices as they are third party products.

Maybe someone here on the @community has some tips for you!