cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fido internet keeps dropping randomly (Maybe modem keeps rebooting)

PlsFixMyInterne
I'm a participant level 2

For about 3 weeks now, my internet keeps disconnecting randomly. I called IT and at first they told me to replace the modem so i did but the problem was still there. I called again and they sent a technician over and he told me the cable was bad so he replaced it and everything was good until the next day where my internet started disconnecting again. After doing some research, I now think it may be my modem thats randomly rebotting itself but I still dont know why that would be happening. I moved the modem to a new power outlet and changed the internet cable to the one that came with the box but the problem is still there. Any help would be very much appreciated.

*** Edited to add labels ***

6 REPLIES 6

Cawtau
Senior MVP Senior MVP
Senior MVP

Hello PlsFixMyInterne,

Welcome to the community!

Are you trying to connect a separate router to the modem? Have you updated the firmware on the modem?

This earlier post notes a similar situation occurring in bridge mode. I'm not sure if a new firmware that will solve the issue has been officially released yet. However, even if you're not trying to use the modem in bridge mode, updating the firmware might help your situation.

Hope this helps Smiley

Cheers

kr6
I'm helpful level 1
I'm helpful level 1
Since you had the modem replace and a tech out, you are more than likely suffering from issues with the stock firmware shipped with the Fido modem. Fido has been very, very, very, very slow in certifying the latest stable firmware which fixes a lot of these issues. See the below post on how to request a firmware update: http://forums.fido.ca/t5/forums/forumtopicpage/board-id/Fido-Home-Internet/thread-id/527/page/2

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

@PlsFixMyInterne do you have a splitter on the cable line? If you do take it off and hook the modem directly to the cable line coming into the house and see if the problem goes away.

FidoClaudia
Community Manager
Community Manager

Welcome to our Communty, @PlsFixMyInterne Smiley

Sorry to learn about your troubles with the modem!

Have you spoken to Technical Support once the problem reoccurred? If yes, what did they say?

PlsFixMyInterne

Yes i already talked to tech support 3 times. The first time they told me to replace the modem. The second they sent over a technician. The third they just told me to just see what happens and try to isolate the problem which i now think is my modem restarting for some reson but im not sure....

Hey @PlsFixMyInterne,  

Do you know if the modem had been exchanged during the technician visit? In the event that a modem is deemed defective a replacement can be set-up with our Fido Home Internet technical support team. They can be reached 24/7 by through live chat by checking out Contact Page here