cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dual esims no longer work on Pixel 8 Pro

blade117runner
I'm a participant level 3

My current Fido sim is an esim. Last November, I purchased a T-Mobile esim to go down to the states, and I can have both my Fido and T-Mobile active for calls at the same time so I received calls from either carrier. I deactivated my T-Mobile esim after a week.

Today I added another esim and when I tried to turn it on, it says 'Only 1 eSIM can be active at a time.". I phoned Google and they said I should contact Fido. Google sent me this article (https://support.google.com/pixelphone/answer/9449293?hl=en#zippy=%2Cuse-esim-profiles%2Cadd-an-esim-...) which says "On Pixel 7/7 Pro and later devices and if your carrier allows, you can use 2 eSim profiles simultaneously.". Did Fido change anything recently to make it not allowed?

7 REPLIES 7

KAPABLE-K
MVP MVP
MVP

Hello @blade117runner,

I'm guessing the Fido eSIM is working and you are trying to activate another eSIM for a different provider?

If this is the case it sounds like the eSIM for the other provider may not be provisioned correctly and you might have to contact that provider and have them look into it.

blade117runner

Thanks @KAPABLE-K I thought about that too. But when I tried to turn on my T-Mobile esim instead, I got the same message, which as mentioned it used to work.

Hi @blade117runner, let me see if I understood correctly. You're experiencing an error message when activating the T-Mobile eSIM while the Fido eSIM is active. And if you activate the T-Mobile eSIM, you can't reactivate the Fido eSIM again. Just to clarify, did you use the same phone and Fido eSIM the last time it worked? If you did, it's possible that the T-Mobile eSIM is causing the issue. You could try contacting Fido customer service to see if they can reprovision the eSIM for you and see if it does anything.

blade117runner

Same phone same fido sim. The T-Mobile esim that I can activate last November I cannot activate anymore now without turning off Fido esim. Same story about the new Freedom mobile esim I added yesterday. I can only activate it if I turn off Fido esim. After Freedom esim is on, if I go and activate Fido esim, same thing. Ask me to turn off Freedom. 

Hello @blade117runner,

From what I read on the Google support page (here) it is possible to have dual eSIM active as there is a difference between dual eSIM standby, the dual eSIM active is supported from the Pixel 7/7pro and above, Google also states it depends on the carrier which I take as Google passing any issues on to the carrier.

What happens if you try to activate the T-Mobile and the Freedom at the same time? 

blade117runner

Hello @KAPABLE-K ,

All I want is dual standby. 

>> What happens if you try to activate the T-Mobile and the Freedom at the same time? >>

When I tried to turn on either one with the other one already on, it says "Only 1 eSIM can be active at a time". As mentioned, it used to work.

Hello @blade117runner, sorry for the late reply I think you mean dual active because what you are describing what is happening is dual standby.

Since it works one at a time when you try T-Mobile and Freedom then we know it's not Fido and it could be the phone, I'm not sure if Google changed anything unless the problem is with T-Mobile as that is the common element between the two tests. 

I currently use a Pixel 8 but I haven't switched to eSIM yet so I'm not able to make the test myself.